1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone uses the Ashdown ABM500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ingboy, May 19, 2011.

1. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    I bought a abm500 last week , and i'm looking for same suitable tones for pop , funky ,and blues.
    Anyone would like to share the settings of the ABM500?
    THX ...:bassist:
    I use a passive jazzbass:help::hyper:

2. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I use an ABM300 but there the same PreAmp

What cab setup are you using?

I play funky jazzy rock, il send you a pic of my head when I get home if thats any help?

3. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    a abm410 cab , thank you ,please show me your setting haha ... :bassist:

4. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I used an ABM500 for years...great head. Here's how i usually set mine up:

Gain - around 2:00
    Valve drive - 1:00
    Shape - ON
    Bass - 11:00 to 1:00, depending on the room
    180Hz slider - down 1 mark
    340 slider - up one mark
    Mid - 12:00
    1.3k slider - up 2 marks
    2.6 slider - flat
    Treble - 1:00

When I owned this head I was using a pick most of the time. This setting makes for a pretty wicked rock tone with some volume behind it.

5. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I played one of these at an open mic last night and man was I impressed by the tone, I mean really impressed! I only had a minute to play with it, but I cranked the input gain a bit, cranked the mid a bit and boosted the first slider to the right of the mid just a hair and the tone absolutely killed! Fat, round, yet clear and present, smooth and even sounding, with punch, everything you could ask for. I was digging it very much!

6. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    Thanks for the settings. I'm looking at getting one of these as soon as music123 gets them in stock.

7. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    I think Jauqo III-X uses the ABM series of ashdown- shoot him a message

8. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    Nice , I tried this setting for my band training today . That's great !I had never heard my j bass so pretty. Thx for your sharing!

9. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    Glad it worked out for you. IMO, that head needs a lot of EQ'ing to sound good, but I don't have a problem with that. Once I got it dialed in, I was always very happy with the tone. I still think it's one of the best rock amplifiers out there. One of the keys for me was the slight tweak to the 180Hz and 340Hz sliders. The problem I found is that while the SHAPE circuit is a must, it's also fairly aggressive. Lowering the 180Hz slider just a tad makes it a little less "boomy" and the slight boost at 340Hz helps put back some of the mids that the SHAPE cuts out. The 1.3k slider is great for dialing in an aggressive SVT type snarl.

10. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1. I always engaged the shape, and additionally quite a lot of EQ to make it sound good. But it DID sound good! Even the drive sounded real nice to me, and I'm all about a clean tone.

11. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    When i play some funk and rock , i use your setting .that is very nice. sometimes,i play some pop songs , it needs a fat ,warm tone,i only make the valve ,and compressor on .The eq, shape is off . The tone is very suitable , and i like it . BUT , i have problem . That is the the sound of E ,A string is larger than the D ,G .And the tones of the D ,G string seems not very clear. Maybe my string is old ,but the tone is very very very diffence from the HARTKE HA3500 I ever tried.

12. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    Your string to string balance could be dead strings, or more likely, your pick up height. You might want to look into having a tech do a proper set up on your bass, if you aren't skilled at it. You would be amazed at the difference it can make having your neck, action and pick up height set correctly.

For that pop sound, you could try raising the 340Hz slider another notch and setting the 1.3 slider flat. Then adjust the bass to taste.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I use my nearly dead flat - with a bit of bump on the mids.

HOWEVER - it really does depend on the cab. I usually run it through one or two Epifani 2x10s, which tend to be very bottom-heavy... So bumping the mids on the amp brings out a fuller sound (And I do only bump them a bit). I never use the contour switch (that's a tool to sell amps in stores anyway).

14. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    what is your setting , in detail ? ...

15. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Gain - 1:00-2:00
    Valve drive - 1:00
    Shape - flat
    Bass - noon- 1
    180Hz slider - up 1
    340 slider - center
    Mid - 12:00
    1.3k slider - up 1
    2.6 slider - flat
    Treble - noon-1

and gorgeous!

16. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    thx:bassist:

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Below are the settings I use but the bass, mid and treble knob settings can change very slightly based on the room. But for the most part these are the settings I use.

Bass:1:00
    180hz Slider :5 mark
    340hz Slider : 2.5 mark
    Mid : 2:15
    1.13hz Slider : 4 mark
    2.6Khz Slider : 2 mark
    Treble : 2:15
    EQ button in
    shape out
    Active Passive out
    Valve Drive I do not use.
    My output level is always more than my input level(To keep distortion down).

18. ingboy

ingboy

Apr 21, 2011
    The eq setting is on the top , i had tried this , very difficult to control

19. Too lazy to write them up :ninja:

ddc95d27.
    The Compressor and Sub are off, sounds good to me but I'm going to try out all the settings on this thread and see what I get :D

20. temp_secretary

temp_secretary

Jun 23, 2011
    ireland
    i've had this head around 5 years now- been through tonnes of different bands settings etc- finally settled on this setting:

bass: 1 o'clock
    180hz: 60%
    340hz: 75%
    mids: 2 o'clock
    1.13khz: 60%
    2.6khz: 75%
    treble: 11 o'clock

input gain: 11 o'clock
    valve drive: 11 o'clock
    e.q. in
    shape set to flat

what cabs are people running with this head? i use a marshall vbc 4x12. anyone using 8x10's?