Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone went here berklee "Bass lines"?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Levi, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    Its like a summer camp but 3 days lol it would cost me about 900USD maybe 850USD just to go here for airplane, tuition, housing ect. Right now its full but next year... Has anyone? ever been here or went to berklee and is it worth it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to General Instruction.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I've never been to Berklee, or indeed any other bass course, but I'd bet my bottom dollar you could find something equally benefical and MUCH greater value for money more local to you.
    IMO, paying around $1000 for a 3 day course is a collossal waste of money, I'm sure you could get an equally good course for less.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I suppose it depends where Levi lives? No location? This might help us suggest alternatives?

I agree with Howard - there are good musicians almost everywhere and you get out of a course, what you put in - so I'm sure people have said around here, several times before, that the great musicians who came out of Berklee, are the same people who went into Berklee as great musicians! ;)

5. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    I have not been to Berklee Bass Lines, but I have been to the One-Week Intensive at the Player's School of Music. What I loved about it was the staff gave me a philosophy and a direction. Basically - 'here is the direction you personally need to go and here are the tools you can use to get you there. Here is the philosophy that we know works.' That was over a year ago and I'm still working on the material I was given. It was an awesome experience and well worth the money.

If the Berklee program is the one you are interested in go for it. My advice would be to go there not to learn songs or licks, but to find out which direction you need to go to improve and then what material you can work on over the next 12 months or so to get you there.

With all of the videos, books, etc out there sometimes it can be overwellming as to what to work on. Getting around a couple very skilled players who can analyze your playing and give you a direction can save you alot of time and money.

Best of Luck,
    Tim

6. i went to the 5 week summer program this past summer and i have to say it was amazing i met so many good players and teachers there and freaking ron carter came and gave a clinic! i had the best time of my life there and would recommend it to every serious musician. i dont kow anything about basslines but the summer program was awesome so i guess it can compare to basslines