1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone who ever shipped a bass please come here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos840, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I used Fedex, it all went fine.

39 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. I used Fedex, didnt go well.

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. I used DHL, it all went fine.

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. I used DHL, didnt go well.

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. I used USPS, UPS, it all went fine.

56 vote(s)
    52.3%
  6. I Used USPS, UPS didnt go well.

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Hi all, i know this has been talked about a lot and i did spend a good two hours going through the previous threads about Fedex, USPS, DHL and i read all the horror stories! I have a bass i just got from Ebay, its in NY at a friends house and i need it sent to London!
    Im really scared to ship it now after reading all this, what is my best option! They cant all be bad and some of you must have received basses in one piece after shipping!
    I thought about doing poll on this, please feel free to let me know what you think.

Cheers

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    This year I have shipped 3 basses overseas using USPS. No problems at all. Just buy as much insurance possible.
    Quite a few pedals and bass parts on USPS, again no issues.

All my domestic shipments are with UPS, and 9 years and 20 basses later, never had a problem.

3. UPS owns.

4. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    ............USPS from UPS, they are totally different!:eyebrow:

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    FYI the UPS has more airplanes than any other shipper and so the USPS contracts almost all of their airfreight that way.

UPS has the cheapest rates for insuring a shipment, but you can bet if you ever have a claim against them they will automatically deny it first and then it's on you to appeal and get it resolved. They aren't called "United Package Smashers" for nothing.

6. Sorry about the UPS USPS i think i might have confused me self, usps is the standart postal service and ups is a courrier? I thought they where two branches of the standart postal service!
    Cant seem to be able to change the poll options! Anyone knows if its possible?

7. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    I've shipped a bunch of basses and guitars out to New Zealand ... never had any problems with any shipments - including FedEx, DHL, UPS and USPS. I like DHL best, but USPS always seems to have the sharpest prices. A lot of the peace of mind comes from how well packaged the instrument is by the shipper. I like to see a bass in a close-fitting hard case (strings NOT loosened), then a layer of bubble wrap then thick or double-skin cardboard.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've used all three, along with a few others, no problem any time.
    Not always for basses though, sometimes parts.

9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I've used all three, along with a few others, no problem any time.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Correct.

11. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    I've never shipped a bass, but I've shipped quite a few guitars, including several Les Pauls and Sgs with their famously fragile headstocks. I use FedEx the great majority of the time, and have had absolutely no issues. I've also used UPS with no issues, but they were noticeably more expensive. I've used USPS once, which was nice since they picked it up at my house...but they were also more expensive. The only reason I don't use FedEx is if the buyer requests otherwise.

12. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    I have used UPS (through the UPS store) and had a problem. I have used FedEx and had no problems. Go FedEx.

13. Well im glad to read all that! All i found on previous threads where stories of lost, broken or stolen basses!
    Do you guys think that a bass in an average case (gator) in a cardboard box has any chance to make it alive or should i be paranoid and wrap it in bubble wrapper, foam and millions of layer?
    ps: it was already shipped from GA to NY like it is now by DHL ground without much harm (cardboard box took a few hits but case is alright), im just scared of the plain journey to the UK

14. I've used FedEx, USPS Priority Mail and DHL this year for shipping and receiving basses, no problems at all.
    The only two "horror stories" I've ever had were with a power amp and a cabinet, and both were UPS. The cabinet was definitely the driver's fault, there were witnesses to that one. The amp sounds like a couple of guys played hacky-sack with it at a handling facility.

15. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've shipped by Ground and Air, domestically within the U.S., using UPS and FedEx. No problems, fortunately. But - the advice above is great. Pack very, very, very carefully. And insure to the full amount agreed upon by both parties.

Good luck with this - I imagine there are some variables (and interdependencies...i.e. insurance amount) with international shipments and customs requirements.

16. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I think it all depends on the individuals who work for the company, not the company itself. My local FedEx driver is cool. He will not leave something on the porch if I am not home, he makes multiple trips until I answer the door. The local UPS guy must hate his job because he will leave packages on the porch while it is raining. I called and complained but he still has this route so draw your own conclusion.

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I've used every carrier, FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, and never had a problem -- except with the USPS. SOmetimes they accept the package and sometimes they don't.

18. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    I shipped my Bongo from Hong Kong to Australia with DHL - just in a standard (non ATA) Gator HSC, and with the bass in a lightly padded gig-bag that just managed to fit inside. No damage to the bass whatsoever, but the corner of the case took a hit and has a small crack in it.

The only real problem was once it hit Australia and customs made me fork out a bunch of cash for import duties, but that's not DHL's fault.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    UPS every time - basses, gee-tars, stomp boxes, rack gear, small animals, children...

The only time I've had a problem was specifically due to a packaging error on my part. The bass got there on time, but the way I packed the instument caused some issues.

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Always UPS. I pack exceedingly well. Better than many new in box items I've had shipped from retailers. The largest/most fragile thing I've shipped with them was a 2X12 Mesa Tremoverb combo. It arrived in Italy with no problems, right on time.