1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anything similar to Pignose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IMdanwhoRU, Oct 7, 2013.

1. IMdanwhoRU

IMdanwhoRU

Oct 14, 2011
    CT
    I have a Pignose Hog 30 practice amp and love the sound. I really like the clarity, and punch for its size.

My current gig set-up is:
    Acoustic B600H and GK backline cabs (2X10 and 1X15).

I am looking to upgrade my head and/or cab to replicate the sound of the Pignose, but just get more juice out of it to support a band setting (2 guitars, drums, bass, keys). I've looked into the Pignose B-100V head, but not sure if that is enough power. I'm open to tube or solid state. Let me know if you know of any comparable amp/cab combos.

2. IMdanwhoRU

IMdanwhoRU

Oct 14, 2011
    CT
    bump.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  4. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Look for a used G-K 200MB combo from the mid- to late-'80s. Phenomenal tone and surprising volume from a tiny package. Just make sure the speaker is in good shape, as the original Pyle drivers tend to have problems with the foam disintegrating.

5. IMdanwhoRU

IMdanwhoRU

Oct 14, 2011
    CT
    Thanks for the recommendations. I should have gave more info, sorry!

I'm looking for a full size rig (head or amp combo) that will give me a similar sound (punchy, great clarity) that the Pignose Hog 30 gives.

6. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Location: Spinning, shimmery aqueous sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    It has been suggested that the Hog30 is actually a *3-watt amp. Here are some possible recipes for Hog30 tone, with added volume:

1) Mic it

2) Use it as a preamp, running the Hog30 headphone out to your existing amp,, as suggested by Hog30 factory instruction

3) Use it as a preamp, running the Hog30 headphone out to a DI to FOH, as suggested by Hog30 factory instruction

4) Identify Hog30 tonal characteristics that you enjoy, and replicate them with your rig using EQ

Let us know your solution, if/when you find it.

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the 100 watt valve head isnt gonna sound ss pignose, it's gonna sound like the ampeg b4

i had good luck with the old marshall ibs and dbs heads getting a kind of warm/punchy and clear ss tone

if you want to go tube the 200 watt mesas are pretty quick and punchy

8. IMdanwhoRU

IMdanwhoRU

Oct 14, 2011
    CT
    @mpdd - Do you know the model name for Mesa?

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i use a d180, but the buster is supposed to be great too