Anything Similar to Tronographic Rusty Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Windowliquor, May 15, 2019.

1. Windowliquor

Windowliquor Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Does anyone out there know if there is something similar to the Rusty Box, preferably in a smaller footprint? Trying to get a similar tone without taking up all of the space on my already cramped pedalboard. I have an RB and love it, but the extra power supply and chunky enclosure are a pain in the neck. I talked to a pedal builder, and he said it would be tough/impossible to fit that circuit into a smaller box, and would be just as expensive as the RB. So we’re now on the hunt for clones and/or similar clanky janky tone machines. And I can’t find one! I don’t need the DI out, just that clang! What say y’all? Am I SOL? And no, I don’t want a bigger pedal board....

2. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I had experience comparing the Rusty vs Darkglass Alpha-Omicron: The Omicron could almost exactly mimic the Rusty at the light-medium overdrive settings. I had a slight preference for the Rusty perceiving a bit more clarity. I imagine the Alpha-Omega could get even closer, having the expanded EQ ability.

3. Windowliquor

Jul 6, 2018
    I looked at that one a year or so ago. I kinda dig it, but it's the roughly the same footprint as the RB. I have a feeling this is gonna be one elusive unicorn....

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I hear one of Tb’s favorite builders has one in the pipe. I know nothing about the layout or any details but I would bet my life it will be at least easier to power than the Rusty Box.

DirtyDuke and Evil_Druid like this.
  5. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    The new Rusty Box doesn't need a separate power supply, it's 9V now.

Evil_Druid and Jeff O'Connor like this.
  6. Windowliquor

Jul 6, 2018
    Let the guessing games begin.... People need to know!

DirtyDuke and Evil_Druid like this.
  7. Windowliquor

Jul 6, 2018
    I’ve got the earlier model. If I can get 9V and a smaller form factor, I’d be a happy man.

Evil_Druid likes this.
  8. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I have no idea if it's the same size as the earlier version, but seems the same to me. 9V Is a great improvement anyways. And Darkglass Alpha Omega doesn't seem much smaller...

Evil_Druid likes this.
  9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    134F20D4-30E4-4D44-86FA-5DEEB79AE1A4.jpeg

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021