applebees commercial

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by audiotom, Mar 13, 2006.

1. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    anyone seen the funny applebees commercial
    where a duo on guitar and double bass and playing satire to the tune of gilligan's island?

the double bass appears mostly underwater

trick photography or did someone actually submerse it

for the love of God

I'm a bass player and live in New Orleans
    and all the could think about was my 78 p not making it
    thank God I had a near miss there

to see someone's double bass underwater
    I know it's funny, but say it ain't so, they didn't do that to an upright

2. Finally an Applebees commercial I enjoyed! After I shook my head at the notes I heard when the F holes were covered in water....
    Suspend your disbelief and it's great.

I bet they could do it green screen or something, and cover the bass up. But that also might cost more than it would to buy a cheap bass and half sink it. Sadly, it just might have been easier. I think it would be hard to hold a DB still in the wavey water; like holding a boogie board vertically and letting a wave hit it. All that surface area would definetely get pushed around.
    Liked the song though!
  3. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Tigard, OR
    being in the biz, I'm sure with their budget, they got a cheapo and drowned it. From the looks of the guitar, I'd say its a cheapy pawn shop find so I'm guessing the bass was the same. And from the flopping around of the strings they weren't near up to pitch. Of course, they were acting to a play-back. Very probable that the "actors" weren't even the "singers". So submerged F holes, no problem.

The horror is that I'm sure the person in charge of getting the bass had no idea about them and it could have been some antique wonderbass treasure that was in someone's basement and made it past the estate sale to some pawn or second hand shop. Doubt it, but its possible.

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Something about the shot was wrong, can't remember what, maybe water wasn't wicking up their shirts or something?
  5. Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I kinda have a hard time believing the would just sink a bass like that, but hey if they have 5 million dollars to air the commercial on TV, then Im sure they could come up with a couple grand for the bass. Sad sad sad for us bass players though. Might make a good wall hanger though.
  6. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hey man, I didn't know their were any other New Orleans DBers on this forum. You playing out much? I'd like to come check you out.

7. I honestly hate that commercial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spit: :mad: :bawl: :spit:
  8. GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    breathe mcnair...

whew, I thought I was the only one that could only focus on the bass in that commercial! All I could think was "that poor bass, I can't believe they stuck it in water!" and where the bass came from and hopefully it wasn't a good one, etc.
    what was the commercial for? ;)
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Amen, bro... I keep the sledge hammer far from the tube for that reason. I don't even mind that they apparently drowned a bass... it's just so frickin' stupid. But I guess that's the target audience for Applebee's.....
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some basses need to be drowned.
  11. I liked it. I love the tune, except that you can tell he's not playing.
  12. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Personally, I've never gotten a decent meal at Applebee's, but after seeing that commercial I was considering hooking up with a singing guitarist and trying to book a duo gig there.

- Steve

My web page
  13. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    +1 I was so focused on the bass being destroyed that I didn't know what the commercial was for.
  14. You guys are goofs. I thought, "great! They submerged a guitar!"
  15. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Probably safer than using a "P" bass and amp.
  16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I suppose we'll have to sit through that one umpteen times today during the Final Four....:rollno:
  17. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    That bass looks like a Craptastic. I say they did the bass world a service...:smug:
  18. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

This should make you even happier - they used TWO!

I was the - what?- bass consultant to the set designer. They bought two Cremona SB1s - painted them over to look identical - drowned one and gave the other to a prop house when the shoot was completed.

And, no -- I didn't even TRY to give th actor bass lessons so don't blame me! :)

19. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Tigard, OR
    Thanks for putting our minds at ease. Although, my beginner rental bass was a Crapona SB1. Actually, not too bad to play with a good set up. Of course, the sound was bleh. Again, thanks for keeping them from drowning something decent.
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Now there's a bass that sounds the same whether it's underwater or on dry land.