Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apple's Garageband?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by basss, Jan 17, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    How flexible is this program? I don't need anything super complex but I am looking for something that I can use to flesh out song ideas. I write some fusiony tunes with odd time signatures with some rhythm kicks/riffing. How good is GB at comping over chord changes and different rhythms? I have checked out icompositions.com but I'm not sure how much of each tune is sequenced and how much is played by the composer.

2. I just want to know what USB interface works best with it.

And you only have 8 tracks? Time for a little research.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Garageband is mostly loop based. The next version will support more simultaneous tracks and more MIDI. It is very versatile in the way that the old version of ACID MUSIC was versatile. GB reminds me a lot of that program. So you have loops for rhythm/drum parts, loopsfor instrumental parts, and you have control over the pitch of the loops, tempo of the project...

There are a lot of loops out there for it so you should be able to find something useful. No program is going to do all of the work, and the more organized you are the faster your project will come together.

As for what USB interface is best... I'd want something with good OS X support and otherwise it is a price issue. I've had good luck with the eMagic 6/2 but it doesn't have preamps. Someone with more USB experience will have a better answer. If you don't specifically need USB then the MAudio 410 is a good box with decent preamps. I've stuck with firewire and have been happy with those devices.

Unless you have the newest GB version, announced last week at macExpo, the you can only record one track at a time. the new version is supposed to support 8 simultaneous tracks.

Pete

4. Ah. I have access to the Mackie Spike, which is a USB interface, but it also comes with Tracktion, so I wouldn't need garageband....

I was also thinking Cool Edit 2, but that's also more loop-based, yes?

I'll have to check out the boxxes you listed...thanks.

Corrupticut...priceless! As good or better than Taxachusetts.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    garageband is a pretty neat little program. now that you can multi track with it, it's even better. For songwriting/getting ideas down it's all you would need. What computer would you be using?

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I would need to upgrade my computer's CPU to use GB. I have a G3/400 w/448 mb RAM OS 10.3.7. So it would be a bit of an investment. Can GB "comp" chords like Band in a Box does or do something similar?

7. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Just buy a Mac Mini for $499 and use your old keyboard/monitor etc. That's plenty fine for Garage Band or even Logic Express.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've been using GB with my new G5. I got 1meg of ram and it's nice to not have the computer choke on multiple real tracks with effects, etc.

I did this using the loops on GB, it's kind of fusiony. The loops are fun to get started recording but I'll admit they're limited.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159009&highlight=fusion+lowend+jazz

If you want more comping behind chord changes, I've heard you can import tracks from Band In a Box to Garageband. BIAB isn't the most natural comping program in the world, but it will get the job done so you can do some bass wanking over top. I'm going to get a USB keyboard and just hack out my own chords, however badly.

W

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    As far as the hardware goes, the cheapest way for me would be to replace my CPU so I think that will happen eventually.

I have BandinaBox already. I'm looking for something less "stiff" sounding but I really like the ease at which BiaB allows you to type in chord changes and then tweak them to get some interesting progressions happening quickly without any piano skills.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If you find something like that, let me know! I agree that BIAB is stiff comping wise, but I'd be surprised if there's something more natural and as easy to use. I agree that being able to tweak the chords so easily without any piano skills is terrific. I love it for testing reharms and working on my own stuff.

Will

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Garageband is exactly the program I've always wanted to record music with. it's dead simple, has killer effects and top notch midi instruments, and it supports tons of tracks. It's like perfection. The only thing it doesn't have, that I wish it did, was effects automation, but, you can always upgrade to logic 7 express and get more advanced features+ the ability to integrate stuff you made in garageband into logic for the final polish.

The new version enables you to record 8 tracks at a time+ as many tracks as your computer can handle. Which is sweet, Garageband 2.0 + a presonus firepod= slick and simple 8 track computer recording setup.

12. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I'm trying to get an idea of how GB operates. Its loop based, right? So that means you are stuck with whatever loops are available and these loops are basically one chord vamps. This would make it difficult to sequence a complex chord progression unless you actually played it on a midi keyboard, correct?

13. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Garageband is not like BAND IN THE BOX. It won't play anything by itself. You have to either record audio or MIDI into it or load in an audio loop. It will play ANY of the loops available for ACID as well.

If you want to type in chord symbols on a timeline and hear it back - you need band in the box.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    GB operates like a multi track recording software should. You have the option to record live audio, or record midi, additionally, if you'd like, you can use apple loops, which are like ACID loops only with key data, tempo data and such embedded in the loop, so it's more flexible than acid audio.

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    What he said. BUT, you can allegedly import BIAB tunes into GB. I'm not sure how, but it would be useful for some applications.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, the new version of GB enables you to import midi, so, if you exported a midi file from BIAB then you could play it back in GB.

17. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yup - good idea.

;)

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I wasn't aware that you could change the processors, what are the costs?

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Depends on how fast you want to go and what kind of comuter you have. The one I want is $350 but I know there are cheaper ones.