Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ibanezplayer, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Hey everyone.

I recently read about this website here on tb. There's tons and tons of live shows from so many bands on here that are free and available for download...its fricken' sweet. I've already downloaded a couple shows...the Allstonians and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

There are so many shows on here and so many bands I haven't heard of that I really don't know where to start though. I was hoping I could get some recommendations of really cool music that's on this site from people that have used it.

I'm really into tons of genres of music: jazz/ska/reggae/classic rock/punk/metal/bluegrass/funk/etc. I'm totally open to anything from those genres, and even if you have something that you really like that you found on that doesn't fit here, throw it out there! I'm sure everyone will appreciate finding some really great music on this site.

Thanks to anyone who has some ideas for me!

2. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah!!!! There's two Firehose shows on here.I'm downloading one as I type this :bassist:
  3. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i have used archive for a while. I have to recomend anything by moe. (like the 3 shows from summercamp 05 27th, 28th & the 29th), anything by umphrey's mcgee (they had a pretty sweet set at summercamp also... i think it was the show on the 28th) i have yet to hear a bad particle show.

lots of good, free, legal live music on archive
  4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I downloaded the Firehose show but I can't do anything with these SHN files.How do I play them ? :confused:
  5. slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses is an amazing site! One of the bands I play with has a bunch of live shows up there. The band is called "Kevn Kinney's Sun Tangled Angel Revival" an easy way to find these shows is to go to the search field and type in KEVN (no "i" ). I would love to hear what you think of the stuff. I guess we fall into the category of "Jam band". KK has some great songs. Some of the shows feature Gibb Droll (Gibb Droll Band / Marc Broussard) on guitar and Joey Huffman (Soul Asylum / Matchbox 20 / Meat Puppets.....) on keyboards. It is a great resource for live shows.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I totally dig Various tapers have posted a ton of shows that I've played over the years. Some of my bluegrassy stuff is under "lowdogs" and alot of my jammy stuff is under "Hypnotic Clambake" and "Jiggle the Handle". I just downloaded some William Burroughs spoken word last night. And there's some great Aquarium Rescue Unit stuff up there I would highly recommend. (Oteil how can you be so cruel).
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You need to convert them to WAV if you want to burn them to CD. SHN is a lossless format, unlike MP3, so they'll be excellent audio quality....I'd convert them to WAV and burn them. DB Power Amp is excellent and should convert may need to download an additional codec for shn. If not, just search google, there are plenty of free apps for this.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

couple good shn decoders here for Mac & PC. I use ShnAmp in winamp on my PC. While you are at it look into a FLAC decoder too (an other lossless audio file format), a lot of live releases come as flac files.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Man, this site is confusing. Is there a overall list of bands somewhere? Or do you have to randomly search a name and hope it shows up?
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    [Shameless Plug]My band (Ebeneezer) has three shows available for download there[/Shameless Plug]
  12. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep, excellent site for legal bootlegs.

Also, make sure to get some Brotherhood of Groove while you're there if you haven't heard Stew's playing. ;)
  13. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002