1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are all G&L neck pockets the same?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by louloomis, Jun 9, 2012.

1. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Just curious about neck interchangeability on 1980s-current day G&L basses.

Isn't it true that not all G&L necks, even for the same models, can fit each others' neck pockets?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't know if any of the neck pocket dimensions changed, but I do know G&L changed from a 3 bolts and a neck plate to a six bolts and no neck plate.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    That's what I was going to say. I do have a Tribute, a fretless and a fretted USA that all seem to have identical neck pockets (though I haven't actually tried to swap necks). But nevertheless I have heard the same stories that all G&L neck pockets are not the same size.

4. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks. Of course, in the abstract, the number of bolts doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with neck pocket size for an instrument, correct (whether G&L, Fender, or anything else)?

Anyone have any hands on experience with neck swapping attempts?

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Lots of things have changed since the 80's. I wouldn't take a chance on fitting an 85' L2K neck pocket to a modern L2K neck pocket; besides the obvious 3 hole vs. 6 hole debacle. IF you were going to swap them, the only way to do it with any kind of certainty is to have both necks and fit them that way.

But the 3 vs. 6 hole design is a real concern.

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've done a lot of neck swapping over the years with G&Ls. Never swap between 3 bolts and 6 bolts, the later neck is 1/4" longer and its very hard to intonate properly. As far as general swappability, there's plenty of variability between neck pockets. You'll get the best match from basses that are close in year built, but even there I've had issues. Neck pocket width and depth varies by quite a lot from bass to bass. So does the neck bolt locations on the 6 bolt necks, which I found very surprising.
    It can't hurt to try if you have the basses on hand, but I wouldn't buy one assuming you can swap necks.