Are DIs generic?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 6, 2004.

1. so, as far as the type of instrument, can you plug any instrument into a DI? because i have seen DIs in the bass section of like the sanamp and i have seen a lot in the guitar section. take this one for example.. is a DOD, which makes effects for both bass and guitar, and it doesn't specifically list what instrument it's for, so whats the truth because i want to record my bass and my guitar, and i don't want to screw anything up!
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, most DIs are generic and can be used for any electric instrument; these do nothing but provide impedance conversion and signal splitting. DIs that have pad switches can accept line or even speaker :eek: level signals.

A few DIs are specialized, like the SansAmp and MXR models for bass, the H&K Red Box for speaker cab emulation, the Aphex and BBE boxes with enhancement processing but even these allow you to shut off the internal circuits and use as a generic DI.

3. Direct boxes are often referred to as "DI" boxes. This stands for "Direct Injection" as their main purpose is to convert unbalanced and/or high impedance instrument signals into a format suitable for direct connection to a mixing console - without the use of a microphone.

A DI serves several basic functions:

* It converts a high impedance signal to a low impedance signal (although it will also accept a low impedance signal from a preamp, keyboard, active pickup or other electronic device).
    * It converts an unbalanced signal to balanced.
    * It reduces a strong instrument or line level signal (and sometimes even speaker level signal) to a mic level signal suitable for connection to the mic input of a mixing console.
    * It isolates electronic equipment on stage from the mixing console, which can help eliminate interference and noise caused by DC interaction or ground loops.

There is an excellent article that explains DI boxes and there perpose HERE

Hope this helps you some!

4. thank you brian and treena for the info, it helps a lot!