1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are MIM Jazz basses any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Someone has one for $300. I was wondering if they were any good at all? Does one usually upgrade the pickups or are they good as is?

Thanks

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    They can be very good. Mine needed some fretwork, but I've never felt the need to replace the pickups. $300 is about the going price.

3. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I bought a MiM P bass of the bay for £250... it's a cracker. Try it first if you can but I reckon they're great.

4. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    idk about the standards. the deluxes are great ..at $300 i doubt its a deluxe. alot of people will upgrade the electronics and bridge on standard MIMs and be quite happy with em..you see alot of guys swap for nordys or barts

5. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I like mine...:) Mine is the active one with US pickups (deluxe), so I cant speak for the standard ones. People on here normally say you can get good ones and bad uns, mine seems like a good one as I cant fault it (low action, nice finish etc). I have upgraded the bridge also, as the standard ones saddles move a lot.

$300 seem like a great price also, compared to here anyway!

6. I've played mine completely stock for 12 years and I love it!

7. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    MIM J's went through a phase where they got lazy with the pickups. They used neck-sized pickups in both neck AND bridge position, so string alignment sucked. I think that's been fixed in more recent models, but you should check that out before you buy...

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I traded for a Standard fretless, and it was perfectly set up. I traded it off in turn (I'm a P guy) but I was just by the local studio and the engineer (who is a great bass player himself) apparently has permanently "borrowed" it from the music store next door. He explained to me, "I'm not a fretless guy, and I don't play flatwounds [this one has TI Jazz Flats on it], but there's something about it that says, 'pick me up and play me!'." So I guess he likes it OK.

9. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Fixed since 2001...

10. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009
    I own two. I own the Fender Deluxe Jazz and a standard Fender Standard Jazz. Both are from 2004 and I think the Standard plays a lot better. The Deluxe needs fret work and I'm in the middle of restoring.

Deluxe I picked up in a trade for a P bass I bought for $200 and the standard I paid $250 for it and a SKB Hardshell case.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Mine's 10 years old. I did install a Badass II on it, but other than that It plays well and no problems

12. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    Each one is different. I've played some that have been iffy, but mine (which has been modified) is my first bass, and the only one I would never sell, it's almost like an extension of me.