1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are people fascinated with your EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by PauFerro, Dec 26, 2018.

1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I have people routinely approach me, fascinated by the EUB I play. Most want to know what it's called and indicate they've never seen one before...It's the new Ibanez one that sits on a stand. Anyone else experience that?

Pic at this thread...

Ibanez EUB for 2018

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Yup...I have A CR5M and people are always asking what it is...

When I say an electric upright bass...I already get the "huh..... " Or "hmmmm...." And a kinda confused look...

They still don't seem to get it... People like the sound of it though

tfer and PauFerro like this.
  3. “Confused” would be closer to the truth.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  4. It's not an EUB, but they do that with my Alcoa bass. I tell them it's an aluminum cello.

:roflmao:

5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    All the time. Most people think it’s some crazy expensive reversed engineered alien tech recovered from Roswell NM.

Ric Vice and PauFerro like this.
  6. People routinely don't approach me. I myself approach them so that they ask about my bass! Sometimes I scream after them... Our vocalist is too beautiful for someone to notice me.

=)

ctmullins likes this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yep, happens a lot. It serves as an ice-breaker with the audience after the gig...

Ric Vice and PauFerro like this.
  8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Every
    Single
    Gig

Jason Hollar and HateyMcAmp like this.
  9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yup. Many folks have asked "What is that thing?" about my NS WAV.

10. Cheez

Cheez Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Texas/Louisiana border
    Yes, they often say stuff like, "wow, it's beautiful!!". It IS pretty nice looking (an Azola baby bass). I guess to the "public" an EUB is unusual. Then again, to some people even an acoustic upright is unusual. BABY BASS AT AURA.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I typically answer "It's like an upright bass (while miming the curves of an upright body) that's easier to carry" and tell then it's usually called an electric upright or a stick bass.

12. roadyboy

roadyboy Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Hudson Valley NY
    I have a Merchant Vertical Bass 1st generation, and honestly, it gets more attention than I do. It also makes my guitar player jealous. I gig with both that and a Dingwall AB1, and as different as the Dingwall looks, it's still the electric upright that gets the oohs and aahs.

13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ever since I got my Clevenger Keyhole Bass in 1984, folks have commented on it's design. At the time it was pretty uncommon to see one. The only two EUB's around was the "Oregon Bass" which was very expensive and the first version of the Clevenger which had a plastic
    bridge with two Ampeg style magnetic pickups in the corners. Fortunately, Martin Clevenger changed that over to the Diamond Sonance resonator that had a spruce resonator with three transducers, and a floating maple wedge bridge. I still use it quite a bit for outdoor stuff.

14. I have a NSX 5-string EUB that gets positive comments on the sound all the time. The guys in my big bands love it and someone not associated with the band commented the other night that it was really cool. Once in a while I will get someone saying "where's the rest of the bass?" and I usually respond "Don't make me get my bow out!".

Rick B.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I always tell them I pawned it and as soon as I sell my Dale Earnhardt commemorative plates, I'm getting it out of hock. :woot:

Ric Vice likes this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yep, it happened pretty much every time I played one of my EUBs.

17. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The new band I joined is fascinated for sure.