Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are there any good USB 2.0 audio interfaces?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Lately I have been looking at USB and Firewire audio interfaces, because i'd like to have some recording option that is more portable than my bands 8-Track soundcard + pc.

Now there seem to be quite a number of nice Firewire interfaces, BUT none of the pcs i have firewire, neither my laptop nor my desktop computer(s). Of course i could buy a cardbus pcmcia card for my laptop , but then i'd also have to buy a pci firewire card for using it with my other computer.

On the other hand, all usb audio interfaces (except one by behringer (!!!) ) only use usb 1.1 and thus have very little bandwidth and can't play back at and record at the same time (when using 24bit/96khz) which i do want to be able to do.

Since all computers i have at home are USB 2.0 capable (and usb 2.0 actually has 480Mbs instead of the completely useless usb 1.1 12Mbps bandwidth), are there any good usb 2.0 audio interfaces?

For reference, heres what i'm looking for:
    Full duplex 24bit/96khz
    ASIO 2.0 capable (low latency)
    2+ inputs (preferrably with phantom-power capable mic preamp)
    4+ outputs (ie 2 stereo pairs)
    MIDI I/O
    Integrated headphone amp
    Price < 400€ if possible

If there are currently no such devices, has anyone tried the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile interface? Is it any good?