1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

are three heads better than one ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaak, Sep 16, 2018.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Hey all,

I am considering purchasing a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II . I already own an Epifani Ul 501 which is an extremely Hi Fi head that does not color my bass signal.

I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 which leans more towards the midrange (providing a lot of growl) .

I know that Gallien Kruegers are usually known for their scooped voicing. the polar opposite of the Aguilar.

I play in a Rock Fusion band. the purchase is not out of need (sort of, it can always be justified) but I just like to have different amp heads that are voiced differently.

Basses i use:

5 strings Spector (very growly) even with mids cut out
    4 strings Fender Precision AVRI (pairs extremely well with the Aguilar TH 500)

the money can go to fund a bass i have been GASing for years a G&L L-2000 (american made)
    and would the G&L provide this scooped sound that my other two basses dont almost do that well ?

your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If you're interested, I'd say go for it. Even more so if you find one decently priced on the used market in which case you can flip it without losing anything. You probably won't want to though.

I picked up a 700RB as something of an impulse buy at one point years ago. That was actually my second 700RB after selling the first years earlier. Looking back it was a great decision.

Al Kraft, Jim C and chaak like this.
  3. Are you playing these amps together and trying to achieve some kind of balance between the amps you have now by adding a third amp?
    If so I would suggest you find a single amp that sounds they way you like it to sound.

OTOH, if you play these amps separately and are just looking for amp #3 that has a different voicing than what you currently have, then I say go for it.

4. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    hello and thanks for the reply it is actually the latter, i play these amps separately and i am just looking for amp #3

Al Kraft and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  5. Cool! Happy shopping. :thumbsup:

chaak likes this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

If you like variety instead of a specific "tone", I say go for it. However, a bit of a warning: Collecting can be an addictive and extremely expensive hobby; so you may be entering the danger zone.

IMHO the three amps you list each have a unique and desirable voice. To my ears the RB series amps excel at growly/grindy rock tones. FYI, the mid scoop only occurs if you crank the Contour control. I rarely set this control higher than 9 o'clock and usually run it fully CCW (off) on my series I 700RB.

An observation...all of these heads are pure solid state. Perhaps you should consider a hybrid or all-tube design.

chaak, hintz and Al Kraft like this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    By the time I got to the end of the OP, my head was positively swimming from the GAS poisoning. I gotta sit down.

chaak and Wasnex like this.
  8. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    There's a thread going about GK heads.
    Believe it or not the old rb series heads are the faves, they were made in the scoopy metal/rock era.
    Later heads balance their mids in a way that dulls the "teeth and grind" GK heads are known for.
    Others believe it's the transformers and power sections of the old heads that contribute to the "nang".

Go play a bunch of heads side by side and decide for yourself.

Wasnex likes this.
  9. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    I own a MK1 400RB and owned a MK3. Some minor stuff and power capabilites aside they sound very similar. With everything except the Contour-Control at 12 o' clock both are relatively flat with a slight mid boost. The newer one goes lower, which is nice with lower tuned basses, and has slightly more top end.
    A big advantage on the newer GK RB heads is the Contour-Control as opposed to the Switch which is unusable imo, as it only has full on scoop or no scoop at all.

10. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Thanks for the reply.

So you think the GK MB Fusion 500 would be a better choice than the 700RB-II?

11. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I just wah-wah'd my contour control.
    Boost is switchable with a momentary pedal.

12. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    GK heads are only scooped if you want them to be. Most (if not all) of them have low-mid and high-mid controls. Leave the contour knob alone, you'll have no scoop.

Wasnex likes this.
  13. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Kernighan and Ritchie claim that two heads are best.

(sorry - obscure computer joke)

chaak likes this.
  14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    There, fixed that for you. ;)

Al Kraft likes this.
  15. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    But will it do Scoopy Doo?

16. That's the only tech book that I never throw and always have a copy nearby. Stroustrup 's book not so much. I have forgotten Larry Wall's classic

17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Oh, it Scoopy Does.

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you really want another amp I'd get a Thunderfunk TFB800-B2. Then you can decide if you want to keep the other amps.

19. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Just saw your answer. Never played the Fusion series amps, only read about them. They are as far as I know less aggressive sounding than the RB series. If you have the chance, try out both of them.

chaak likes this.