Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are we going down the crapper?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Sorry for the questionable title but hey, it's pretty much what it's about...

Does anyone else have the feeling we're on our way to becoming a cultural wasteland? Now that we're in the 21st century and all the people who shaped our culture are gradually dying, It becomes more and more apparent that there's little, if anything of equal substance to fill that void.

We were fortunate that the evolution of technology coincided with a flurry of talent that was able to take full advantage of their medium and created a language that was picked up and built upon by those who came after them. Some of these artists not only reflected the times, but helped to define them. More importantly, not only was there style, there was also substance.

What is the problem? Do we have too much? Is the business too segmented? Too savvy? Is there too much money involved? Where has all the talent gone? It was noted in another thread that a bunch of young actors are dubbing themseves "The new rat pack". Sure, it's a gimmick, but recycling the old is becoming not only the order of the day, but the status quo.

Maybe I just am not looking forward to going to the post office in 30 years and having to choose whether I want to buy buy Wynton Marsalis or Britney Spears postage stamps.

Any thoughts?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think your question is one that has been posed at every turning of events and at every time in our history. I think at the core humans haven't changed and their are always things that cause us to feel that our culture is turning into a wasteland. In that respect I don't think much is really that different.

brad cook

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I think the US as a culture has become too materialistic (and I include myself in this). Our greed will be our downfall. Look at the huge corporations that are throwing their companies down the crapper so 5 or 6 people can line their pockets.

It used to be if you were a good worker you could be employed for life at one company. Now companies basically don't give a crap about the people in the trenches making all the money for the few people at the top.

It won't change until hordes of people demand it, and the US as a country seems quite apathetic to what's going on around them.

This is all IMO.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    yes

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The things that you're saying have always been a part of our culture in some form. This country has flourished because of materialism. Many companies have not given a crap about people in different ways LOOONG before these days...it's way better for us now though as we now have child labor laws, minimum wage laws, overtime, max hours, etc... In the old days 10 years olds would slave away and many more people were regularly killed on the job due to unsafe working conditions (which are now regulated).

Nothing has changed at it's core.

brad cook

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Your acting as if there ever has been a historic continuity of High Culture.

Never has been.

Except for brief interludes of 'life imatnating art:
    artists reflecting/defining the culture and raising the conscious of society.

The same 'Culturial Wasteland' argument was made by Newton N. Minow, FCC chairman in 1961 regarding TV as a Vast Culturial Wasteland.
    The idea is old as well.

Culturial Change is Rooted in Culturial Crisis.
    The antecedents of Artistic Revolution always exists just under the surface;
    it takes a monumental crisis of identity to tap into it.

The reason there is a lack of innovation, is because there is a lack of Culturial Conflict.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think people worry too much about $$ anot dont realize that sucess is not $$.

When everyone is so focused on $$ people lose focus on art.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey man, Timewave Zero. We're getting close to Dec. 21, 2012, don'tcha know.

Seems about right to me.

9. I say it has a lot to do with a turning away from/no longer believing in God, or what our culture used to perceive as God.

Even if we all agree that there is no God, the fact that we, as a nation/society used to believe in a "God," this kept us from going over the edge. It's the same way you can keep a child in line by telling him that Santa won't bring him anything for Christmas if he/she doesn't behave during the year.

We revere nothing but money, and the self, and this will be our downfall.

Again, this is just MY OPINION, and not meant to derail the thread or start an argument.

Mike ;)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's a very interesting point Michael, I have never really thought about that, but I can see where you are coming from. Belief *is* a powerful force, despite anything.

um, I would have more to add, but my brain is a little scattered right now, but, good point there.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    While I would normally disagree, reading threads like this leads me to believe otherwise. Some people have too much time on their hands...

13. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I think that Christianity is fading (approx. 1% a year or so they say.) But at the same time other religions are gaining in popularity, ie: Buddhism, Wicca, etc.
    So while 'other' religions don't necessarily believe in a god, or Christianity's God, a lot of their core moral standings are similar to those of christianity. And so, honestly I don't see that as changing our society all that much.

I think that more than likely, every generation has lulls and periods of discontent. I also believe that Americans are nostalgic by nature and it's a lot easier to revere an older generations strengths than to notice your own.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, I blame lead pipes and diet pills. I'll be jiggling the handle as we go, weeeee!!

In all seriousness, no. I think we are in one phase or another of a cycle that has repeated itself since we were first able to concieve of such things as God/s. Now where's my torch and pitchfork?

edit: OTOH, there is a first time for everything, maybe we are on the verge of the biggest societal collapse humankind has ever seen?

15. *nods*

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We are the Romans.*

* great cd by Botch, go listen!

edit: After thinking about this, I think Mr. Jewels is very much on the mark.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How come everyone on StarTrek doesn't have to work or go hungry, or there are no wars on the planet Earth. There is a vast transformation and sharing of knowledge.

I blame first world governments. They lie, withhold information, distort the truth and treat us like a meal ticket. They do not do anything to advance the human race as a race. They keep us down by our current system of education, working, taxes, and misinformation. Are there aliens? Why do we still use oil as our main source of power? Why does a toliet seat the government buys costs $300.00 when I can buy one for $13.29 at my local hardware store? Your telling me global warming doesn't exist? Why is 1 in 70 American men livning in prison?

Us as citizens have nothing better to do with ourselves but get drunk, play music and breed. Because we do not know the truth about things and are not in control of our destiny to advance as a people, but are here to serve others like slaves or endentured servants working for room and board.

my rant is now over

18. don't worry blackie, you're just having a postmodern freakout. happens to us all.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Replicators and Holo decks. :cool:

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wrong.

Hot alien babes. :cool: