1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Argh! String won't stay on!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I recently bought a pack of D'Addario Nickel Round Wounds, and the G String WILL NOT stay on.

I have been striging my own basses for a while now and this has never happened to me before. It's aggrivating.

Any tips on getting it to stay?

2. What do you mean by the string will not stay on?

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Duck Tape

4. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Do you mean it pops out of the center hole? I had a G & L that did that, the side of the post wouldnt grab the string and it would pop out. I bent the end of the string over before sticking it in the center hole and it would "hook" in the center hole and hold it enough to get a couple of wraps around the post.

Hope this helps

John

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I will get the string wrapped around the peg thingy and it will stay. Trun the knob to get it in tune and it pops off and sometimes hits me in the face.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Do you put a bend into it and then feed that end into the tiny hole in the middle of the tuning peg? If not, you have to give it a try.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Try having the first wrap going over the string and the rest under it so that the string comes out between the first and second wrap on your tuning post. Can't hurt to try.

8. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I don't have a tiny hole in my tuning peg. It's just got like a cutout. I just tried wrapping it underneath it like you suggested but it didn't help. The string just kind of slides off.

9. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Wierd what kind of bass is this?

10. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    It is a Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

11. Then you should have the hole in the middle of the tuner. You stick the end down in the hole, make a right angle with the string and wrap it around the peg.

12. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Have you looked inside the tuning peg? you could be missing it.

Other than that, i believe somebody already suggested duct tape.

13. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    wont that start to chafe?

14. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I know to put it through the "hole" (which isn't really a whole) and I can assure you I am doing it right. I have been stringing my own guitars since I was 8. It just slides off is the best way I can say to describe it. I'm bending it nd everything. It just slips off.

15. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Sell the bass, bury the string, move to an island and start a coconut stand........or, try inserting the bent end into aforementioned hole again, hand wrap the string around the post, making sure that you get at least one overwrap to help hold it in place,.. then tighten,.....if that doesn't work,...well,.... coconuts are rather tasty!!! On the serious side,.. do you have at least three wraps going around the post? if not, you may have cut it too short and that might be the problem. Hope you figure it out,.. best of luck.

16. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I'm putting on the same as all the other string, I put it through the "hole" twice always. 3 wraps around the peg then overlap it twice in the "hole". As soon as any tension gets on it it slides up, it doesn't unravel. It just slides off the peg.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense unless the tuner is so sloppy that it bends toward the bridge and lets the string slide off. Insert the string as far into the tuner as it will go - bend the end at least 90 degrees - start winding - wrap the first wind over the end inserted down in the tuner, and wrap from the top down so that each wind helps to lock the previous ones in place....and the tension of the string as it tightens should hold the string in place. I believe that you have strung basses successfully in the past, but it really does sound like there must be a flaw in the stringing process somewhere. Have you consulted online references that include pictures of the process?

18. You are wrapping down, and not up, correct?

19. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Try different strings maybe? I had a similar issue with a MM Stingray where the g string wouldn't stay and it was totally frustrating. Switching brands solved the problem. I recall others on TB were having the same issue with their Stingrays.

20. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK