1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ARGH! TEEN TOWN!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, Feb 22, 2014.

1. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Listen to Jaco's touch as it changes while he plays the piece. It'll help you not dig in too much and slow yourself down. Jaco only hits the last two or three notes of each phrase really hard.

2. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    I just started working on teen town myself.

There's some work there.

I practice fast things slower with my mimicopy app i can play at about 75% speed.

It's a fun song.

Play it perfect slowly, then work up to speed.

Keep at it you'll get it'

3. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    even when you get up to speed, then you've got to make it flow effortlessly

there's a reason why he's JP and your not

4. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    And then after your good at the right tempo, re learn it the Marcus Miller way (full slap)

Then I'll ask you : "Man !! how ya doing that !!"

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    After that, you can start working on "Donna Lee."
    But first... watch this...

:D

gebass6 likes this.
  6. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Nov 12, 2013
    Virginia
    OH WOW... I always (sadly) forget about NHOP when I'm thinking of killer players. That clip is AMAZING!

7. davidhilton

davidhilton Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why don't u post a vid/audio of you playing it at the slower tempo. That way I could give u more realistic advise.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidhiltonmusic

8. bass12

bass12 A very hungry caterpillar Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Now THAT makes me feel inadequate. :D

9. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    One thing that helps me learn difficult pieces is to video record myself. It helps me see what I'm doing physically, since I can really only look at one hand at a time, and see if there is anything that might be tripping me up at higher speeds. Something that works at slower speed may turn into a jumble of fingers at higher speed, and being able to see that objectively can help quite a bit.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    It would be much easier if the full versions were on video, but they usually don't show the whole tune. Knowing where to play it would help. OTOH, teachers often recommend practicing in all positions, so......

11. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    Honestly Teen Town isn't all that difficult to play. The most difficult part, in my opinion, is maintaining clarity within the first 3 notes since a minor7 sits more awkwardly on the instrument. Outside of that it's fairly straight forward stuff.

Go slow, very slow, strive for consistency and clarity then the speed will come.

12. Brian Hubbard

Brian Hubbard

Feb 3, 2018
    Suwanee
    I know this thread is older but the tune is a bass must for players learning to execute jazz fusion phrasing. My take on this is to learn the piece to the best of your ability and enjoy it for the love of playing. I’ll never articulate like Jaco, and I’d make myself miserable trying to play like him. For that matter, I can’t even wrap my mind around the Pass Pedersen version of Donna Lee. Those cats landed here from a different planet.

13. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    I know many guys who have been playing for decades in working bands that can’t dream of playing “Teen Town”.

It might take an experienced player several months or a year to get this piece up to speed and presentable for live performance or recording. You have to get the notes clean and cut in terms of execution and you do have to play it in time. It’s not common for someone who’s only been playing 18 months to have that sort of ability or discernment. “Teen Town” is not easy - the problem is always that Jaco/Marcus/insert accomplished player makes it sound easy.

Ultimately, the best advice I can give is to not overestimate what you can get done in a weekend, but don’t underestimate what you can get done in a year.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021