Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Custom Shop and other MIJ - EUBs

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Replica, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Replica

Replica

Jul 28, 2005
    Paris - France
    Hello,

That's my first real post on that forum :D (I don't count the presentation post).

So, a friend of mine is in Japan. And he got sick, of gear acquisition syndroma. ****ty disease, which obviously can be transmitted through the Internet !!!:confused: Because I got infected too...:help:

He is a guitar player, and watching some guitars, he saw some EUBs, and knowing I'm thinking about EUBs and D.Basses for some time... So he sent me some mails... and you probably can guess the following...

So, some stuff I can find there seem a lot cheaper than in Europe. And I'm thinking mostly about MIJ EUBs.

Aria Custom Shop... I couldn't find a lot of info, I saw here that the fingerboards are in Maple, but that Aria EUBs seem good still. What do you think?

Or is there any other MIJ EUBs that I should prospect too? For ex the Yamaha SLB/SVB 200, but it's a little bit too expensive, I can go for about $ 1700-1800, not more. Even that, is already a lot.

Or other brands? For ex Atelierz ? In brief, what do you think?

2. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    There are quite a few Japanese EUB makers:

Aria and Yamaha, you´re aware of. The Atelier Z is actually made in Korea (I think), it´s also sold under the names Landscape, MD-Quest and Universal.

*Atelier Z website http://www.atelierz.co.jp
    *Quest MD aka Landscape website http://www.quest-md.com
    *Chaki in Kyoto makes acoustic DBs and EUBs but has no website (far as I know)
    *Matsunaga is another DB and EUB maker that has no website
    *Oriente website www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~oriente
    *R & Bell website www.commusic.co.jp
    *Seén website (Matsu****a Kobo) www.matsu****a-kobo.com
    *Stud-B website www.stk-co.com

There was also a maker named Hashimoto, but I think he´s stopped taking orders. www.a-hashimoto.com/oriji.html

There could be more, but I think this is pretty much it. There are probably individual luthiers in Japan building EUBs on and off, though.

Mikael

3. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Apparently the Atlansia Co in Nagano has introduced a couple of EUB models:
    www.atlansia.jp

(click for basses and scroll down a bit)