Aria Pro II "Les Paul" (1980's?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mb2000, May 8, 2019.

1. mb2000

mb2000

May 8, 2019
    Does anyone have any information about this bass? I can't seem to find anything on Google. I've found one for sale for €300, is this a reasonable price? Pictures included. (She's a looker;))

Attached Files:

Bass V likes this.
  2. mb2000

mb2000

May 8, 2019
    The pickups are 2017 Nordstrands by the way.

3. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That looks relatively new, not 1980s...

herndonbassist, twocargar and getbent like this.
  4. mb2000

mb2000

May 8, 2019
    My thoughts exactly, but the seller lists it as being from the 1980's. Translated from Dutch:
    - Exclusive, active, mid-scale bass, les Paul look-a-like from the mid-1980's

-Intended for the Asian market, barely available in Europe

-Active elements by Nordstrand, installed in 2017

-In excellent condition

cynelli likes this.
  5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Not 80's IMHO. Body shape not exactly Les Paul either.

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  6. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    It could indeed be mid-80s, as it would have a poly finish and if it wasn't played much, would still look new. Also, that is similar to the Les Paul style guitars Aria Pro II was putting out at the time, as noted by the sloping bass bout. These are generally well respected MIJ instruments.

And with a set of Nordstrands, I don't see how you could go too wrong for the asking price.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This

8. mb2000

mb2000

May 8, 2019
    Thank you for the reply! Just out of curiosity, what does MIJ mean? I'm new to the forums.

9. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    Made in Japan.

mb2000 likes this.
  10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If I was in the market, I would take it for a spin.

Probably dives like seafowl though.

dalkowski and mb2000 like this.
  11. mb2000

mb2000

May 8, 2019
    Thank you!

And yet another saying I don't understand.. I really need to brush up on my English. Would you please explain what you mean with "dives like a sea fowl"?

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It appears that the body weight and strap position will not balance the bass.

We call this ‘neck dive’. Common on basses with guitar body designs.

mb2000 likes this.
  13. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont

When you strap on the bass, and remove your hands from it, the headstock dives toward the floor. This is known as "neck dive."

It tends to happen when there's not a long upper bout that positions the strap button further toward the headstock. Also can happen if the body is very lightweight compared to the neck.

mb2000 likes this.
  14. mb2000

mb2000

May 8, 2019
    I'd like to thank everyone for your reactions. (and for your patience) I've decided to go ahead with the purchase. I'll keep you posted.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Just wanted to extend a welcome to you as a new member. It’s always nice when someone new joins the community. :)

Definitely an interesting bass. Has a body like an Aria PE-DLX guitar. But the headstock looks like the design they used for their M series guitars. I’ve never seen nor heard of an Aria bass a like yours before. Congratulations on such a rare find.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    -Asdfgh- likes this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That headstock shape really looks more modern to my eye... I would guess a recent 'brand re-boot" made in China or Indonesia?? I vaguely seem to recall reading somewhere about the 'Aria Pro-II' brand being recycled... In any event it looks like it might be worth the asking price :)

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  17. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    NYS
    This. I was literally about to post how the headstock definitely suggests otherwise, despite some thinking it could have been from the 80's. So far searching through the back catalogs, there were certainly regular 6 strings with that body style from the 80's, but nothing bass wise. Also, even those guitars still had the open book style headstock that was used on almost everything back then.

There are plenty of basses you can't even find any info on there, but I know even the basses they released all the way till the late 80's used similar (headstock) styles to the one I mentioned above. Also don't think they released too many instruments back then with an FMT-looking style finish.. or a dark purple finish of that tint for that matter.

Source:
    Aria/Aria Pro II Basses

mikewalker likes this.
  18. Does he mean it looks like a Les Paul from the 80s maybe?

macmanlou and bumperbass like this.
  19. As mentioned already, the body looks like an elongated (could just be the angle of the picture though) version of the PE guitar bodies which were definitely made in the 80’s up until, I believe, the present day. The headstock, however, is different from any Aria I recall seeing. Looks more like a modern Ibanez or Cort. None of that means that it wasn’t a Japan only model or something like that. There must be an Aria serial number decoder somewhere on line for when you go look at it.

I’d certainly be interested, depending on the price.

20. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I had an MIJ Aria Pro guitar with a similar body style. I agree that looks newer than 80’s.