1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aria Pro II RSB Special II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Canadian APII, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    I an a big APII fan. My first I bought new in 1985. It is an RSB Special II with the dual single pickups. I am wondering how many of you have one?

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    aw, c'mon----------you can't post like this and not give some us candy! No pic = no bass!!

3. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    [​IMG]

4. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Didn't work! Here ya go:

013_zpsa7b59694.

5. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    How do you get that formatted that way?

6. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Clicked on your link above, went to the box to the right of the picture and picked the direct link starting with the IMG tag. Then just posted it here. :)

7. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    013_zpsa7b59694.

8. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    Woo Hoo. it works.

9. I almost have one. I have an RSB Deluxe. Back in the days I installed EMG pickups and ripped out the frets. I regret that now.

10. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    I'm restoring mine. I need to wind new pups and fix a couple gouges in the body. Other than that she is immaculate.

11. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    One of the reasons I started this thread is to gauge how rare it is. I have lived with this bass since 1985 and haven't seen another.

12. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I'd check the Aria club thread. I'm sure someone there will have some information.

13. Just out of curiosity, does it say Made in Japan or Made in Korea somewhere on it? I know most desirable Aria Pro IIs were Matsumoko products; I'm just trying to learn stuff.

That's a pretty cool bass despite my fear of red basses.:smug:

EDIT: Looks very similar to the RSB Special II:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/rsb/rsb.html

14. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

Jan 15, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    The korean ones are nothing to scoff at, just dont get the budget models. Matsumoku was a magic factory though so it's hard to compare. I have an 84' SB Elite 1 that is perfect. 10+ lbs and I float everytime I put it on.

15. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    It is an RSB Special II. It was made in 1984 in Japan so doesn't that make it Matsumoku?
    I made the mistake a few years back of replacing the pups. They were single winds and were very treble. The chrome is the best of any APII of that era I have ever seen.

16. Eric the Red

Eric the Red

Nov 9, 2014
    I just bought one a couple days ago. Black, neck in great shape, body has been loved a little. The pickups were replaced with SD 1/4 pounders under the original covers. The covers on mine don't have exposed pole pieces, so that is something I'm trying to research, too. I can't find the exact covers on any Matsumoku bass. I'm also working on an RSB Deluxe rebuild, and several Westones. LOVE love love those 1980's Matsumoku basses!!

17. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    Do you have pics. I haven't seen closed covers on these.

18. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    What type of cases are you looking for? MB's or MBJ's?