Aria pro II WHAT DO I HAVE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BONES57, Mar 22, 2018.

1. BONES57

BONES57

Nov 25, 2017
    I JUST BOUGHT AN ARIA PRO II FOR $150.00 with a hard case it says cardinal series original custom body, on the head stock. The neck plate is stamped MATSUMOKU. MADE IN JAPAN Sn H 800176 I'm trying to find out how old is is it's in GREAT shape. The case is not rectangular, it's molded to fit the bass. Also it's 4 string

Attached Files:

RobTheRiot, bholder and Bassbeater like this.
  2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    It's probably an early CSB380. These supposedly hit the market in '81, although the H80 serial number on yours implies was made in 1980. The "Original Custom Body" on the headstock was standard labelling on a bunch of the Aria Pro II line of the time.

3. BONES57

BONES57

Nov 25, 2017
    Thx for the info,I bought it for my church band, my EUB NS DESIGN WAV 5 was more than I needed for 4 songs on sundays,

4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Aris Pro II Cardinal Series bass... medium scale IIRC.

Search for more info: www.matsumoku.org

Nunovsky likes this.
  5. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree. I had the same instrument. CSB is the abbreviation for Cardinal Series Bass. Its was an entry level bass but is quite a bit nicer than that would suggest. Pretty cool that you got the case too.

Nice score.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What you got was about as much bass as you cam score for that much money. Everything that came out of that factory was well crafted.

Doesn't hurt that it looks great too!

bholder likes this.
  7. I got given a 77 Precise bass with no electronics. Fitted a Fender pg, had a bridge route down, and added a DiMarzio PJ set. It's a great playing bass! Running stacked V/T and blend.

IMAG0429_zpspmwwujih.jpg

8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Wow, looks new. Score!

9. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I had one of those some years back, though I think my truss cover was engraved with the model (which I remember as CSB-300 but could be wrong). It was a nice bass, played very well. I carefully de-fretted it (filled slots with plastic and tung oiled) and it actually came out great. The tight string spacing was my only minor complaint. Great score!

10. fermata

fermata Guest

Nov 10, 2015
    The color suggests it's a CSB-380 (the finish options are the only difference between the CSB-300 and CSB-380).
    Aria Pro II CSB Series
    You got a great bass for a really great price--they typically sell for $250-$350! As mentioned, they're a 32" medium scale, which, along with the narrower string spacing, makes them very comfortable to play. And it's a great pickup; the reverse split setup offers really good tonal balance and sweet, warm highs. The construction quality is also very high--like the five-piece laminated neck, for instance. Excellent instruments!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  11. Tony Fux

Tony Fux Inactive

Apr 20, 2021
    i have a csb 380 ,,, will any medium scale strings fit ? some say the 380 is 32.25 / 32.50 scale,, and medoum scale strings say up to 32" ,,, so wouldnt they be too small ? i am all mixed up ,,, HELP ,,,
    tony fux