1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Arnopol/Greenboy 12

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Eric Hochberg, May 28, 2012.

1. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Played 2 gigs over the weekend with the latest of Mike Arnopol's light weight 12" speaker boxes. 15 pounds made it easy to hand carry the block from parking to club with my EA Doubler and my DB. Both gigs were with jazz quintets with very powerful drummers. This box easily gave me the volume and tone to hold my own. Easy to hear myself and good comments from the soundman. I found it a bit broader sounding than the 88 and very high fidelity. At a price point around 30% less than the 88, it is a great alternative. At some point I plan on making a choice between one of them or the Thunderchild 12.

2. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    got any pics?

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Awesome...Mike knows a little something about building cabs :)

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Did you like the "broader" sound better, or was it just another flavor?

5. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    some pics
    the Duratex is much more consistent looking than the pics. The glare makes the color look splotchy---promise to get a better camera! I have a strap handle on top to save weight. The handle shown is the recessed Penn Elcon. It adds about a half pound. Personally, I consider it another flavor though with eq you can change that to a degree. It is a bit warmer than the 88---similar in warmth to the Thunderchild. Our goal was to offer a less expensive alternative to the 88. It uses the Faital 12PR300 driver. It is also available with an Eminence 3012ho driver with a "midrange smoothing circuit" which smooths the rather aggressive mids on the Eminenece. With a switch so that you can get the more mid-forward original sound of the 3012ho. A tweeter is available on both. The one I gave Eric to try was the lightest, least expensive model. I think that this one sounds best with upright although it's a good electric bass cab too.

Attached Files:

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd say another flavor. I'd describe the 88 as "tighter". I think I like the 88 a little better, but price-wise, not sure if I would have to have it over the 12. I didn't try either with BG, so that will also be something to consider.

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    I'm curious how these would do for electric compared to Epifani UL112s. I LOVE my Epi's with EB, but haven't quite settled on them for DB. I really hate to completely re-do my rig as I actually *own* it and get tired of looking for the next big thing (I've been playing these since 2008).

But I might be persuaded to sell my Berg HS410 for a set of these, or maybe some combination of 8/88s.

8. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I think that the Eminence based cab will go at least as loud as the Epifani. I know that it sounds great on upright as well as electric.. The switchable mid circuit adds a lot of flexibility I think. With the Eminence 3012ho and the tweeter we're still at about 20#.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    12" at 15 lbs. I thought things couldn't get better than the GB shuttle combo I have. Mike, what are the specs on this puppy?

Thanks.

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Mike--

Without running afoul of the CUP, is there some place you have listed your various options with prices/specs? I need a scorecard with the 8, the 88, the Faital 12, the Eminence 12, tweeters, no tweeters, etc. Thanks.

11. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'll pm you later today, Les. I'm really trying to be within the CUP guidelines as I've inadvertently crossed them a few times!