1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ARRGGHHH!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CLJMB, Oct 15, 2006.

1. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I am really having a hard time finding a rig that gives me the sound I want. :bawl: I am using a Roscoe 5 (Bart/Bart) and a SR5. Amps are 600 watt Focus and an SVT 2Pro. I play fingerstyle almost exclusively, various styles and venues, from church, to a jazz gig, to a rock band. All of the below are not just my opinion, other musicians and soundmen have told me the same thing.

Focus or Ampeg into Schroeder 1210R: lots of volume, but too much mids. Couldn't EQ in a sound I was happy with.

Focus into Acme Low B2: good low end (maybe too much, but controllable with Focus high-pass filter), not enough mid articulation. SVT into Acme (lows cut back, mids up) surprising volume and awesome (sometimes uncontrollable) lows, but again, not enough mids to sit in the mix well.

Focus (flat) into Epifani UL-112: not too bad by itself, all mids and no bottom end with band. This morning at church using the Epi I cut mids to about 25% on the Focus, increased bass/treble on the Roscoe to about 75% and the soundman was pretty happy. According to him way the sound was way too middy when I had them both flat.

I am a groove player. I don't solo and I rarely slap. I'm looking for a full sound which will support the band without being boomy. Nice lows/low mids, enough highs for definition but definitely not "sparkly".

I have no problem getting a good sound in the studio from either bass going direct to the board.

I'm thinking the Focus is too mid-oriented for me, so I am thinking of trying an Eden 550 or a Thunderfunk. Also considering trying Berg cabs. Anyone have any advice? :help:

2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Suggestions?
    Yeah, Sell me your ul-112. Buy my A4.4 1200 watt/channel power amp and add a RBI pre. Buy an accugroove Tri115 or up to 4 of them (or a pair of 15's AND a pair of 12's)! There you go...

3. I am suggesting Aguilar tube stuff into a Epifani 410.
    My db680+ db728 into the Epifani is a killer rig for groove in the lows.
    Have you tried the 750 or even the 359?

:)
    Antony

Ps: obviously that will set you back a couple of grands...

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think this is a great Idea. keep an eye on my thunderfunk/Eden550/Bergantino 112's/aggie 112's shootout, review, whatever you wanna call it!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281606

I think I might be searching for a similar sound as you. I heard the 1210R and it was good with the band, but solo was too "something" in the low mids that I could not EQ away.

the focus might just be lacking heavy bottom, I doubt the mids are pronounced, just thinner SS sound.

5. IMO Berg cabs are the way to go. Ive been using a HT115 for playing in church with my Roscoe (also Bart/Bart) and a Mesa Walkabout head. Run the head pretty much flat, and the Roscoe with a little high and low cut, and the tone fits in the mix beautifully.

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Either the T-funk (I dig mine) or the Eden would be a good bet. I've always heard people refering to Epifani's upper mid response, and the Schroeder mid bump is pretty well known. Maybe you are having cab as opposed to head difficulties. Whatever you decide to try, only swap out one piece at a time so you can get a good feel for what each new thing sounds like.