1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ART tube mp Studio + pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Don mata, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    Hi everybody!

I'd like some help and I know you can help me.

I'm trying to get a "tube-ish" sound from my gear without spending a lot or money on a big, heavy all tube head (I know they sound better than any pedal though and I'm saving money to get one soon). I own the well-known "VT bass" and I purchased the Markbass compressore. The tube in the compressor helps a little. Thing is I just read about this preamp Art tube mp Studio. I have no idea if this "thing" can help me to improve my tone. I've read some things about it but nothing came in handy (some people claim it adss "warmth" and some others says it doesn't do a thing :| . What do you think? does it really help to improve bass tone? do you think it could sound great with a vt bass and a Markbass compressore?

The people who own/use this preamp: How do you use it? and what do you think about it?

Thanks in advance!

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Ive never used mine on bass. I have use it alot where i need phantom power in a hurry in a weird location. Ive never found it to "sound tubey" or particularly warm. Ive not found it to sound bad either, rather neutral... unless you crank the gain, which Ive tried no to do in the microphone situations Ive used it in.
    Maybe I'll go throw it in my bass' signal chain and see what happens.

Don mata likes this.
  3. The ART Tube MP is a nice piece of gear and does impart some tube qualities, it does not add 'warmth' like a tube guitar or bass amp might. The studio version adds the limiter circuit and presets that are handy when using it as a DI or recording preamp.

4. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    it doesn't add warmth at all? what do you mean by impart some tube qualities? Thanks for helping me guys!

5. Well warmth is a relative thing, in terms of studio equipment it certainly adds warmth, but in terms of what a guitar or bass player would consider warmth it is very subtle. That is why I put warmth in "...".

I have been using several Tube MP for a while but rarely on bass.

6. I bought one and used it one time. I found it very quiet, which makes it a great tube DI.

7. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    did it affect your tone?

8. I can't describe the difference, but yes, it was different (maybe more defined?).

9. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I agree that the ART is nice, but for a bass the tone change is really subtle.

10. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    I thought it was "noticeable". My idea was put it it after my compressor (Markbass). I was thinking that it could add a really nice "tube-ish" sound mmmm . Do you ever use it for live playing? or just recording?