Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

article on female bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by missbassguitar, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missbassguitar

missbassguitar

Apr 14, 2004
    Hi,

I’m a freelance music journalist doing some research for an article for Bass Guitar Magazine, if you're a female bass player, I'd like to ask you your views for a piece on girl bassists.

1) What inspired you to take up bass playing?

2) Are there any female bass players you look up to?

3) Do you think there are enough female bass players out there as a role model for younger players?

4) Have you seen the new Daisy Rock bass guitars with novelty shapes like hearts, flowers etc? Do you think they will inspire other girls to take up bass?

5) One girl bassist I spoke to said “riot grrl is dead” and reckoned girl bassists were few and far between? Do you think that’s true and if so why?

6) What style of bass do you play? E.g. rock. Punk, alternative, jazz, funk, blues…etc

7) What kind of bass guitars do you play?

4-string electric bass acoustic bass
    5-string electric bass fretless bass
    6-string electric bass
    8-string electric bass
    12-string electric bass

8) If you saw a bass you REALLY liked, just how much would you be willing to spend on it?

9) Do you use any effects (FX) pedals?

10) Do you play in a band?

11) Are you: self taught? Had lessons from a private tutor? Learned to play bass from a friend or learned bass at school with your music teacher?

12) How long have you been playing?

13) Do you read Bass Guitar Magazine?

14) What country do you live in ?

Thanks for your contribution,

Petra Jones
    Freelance Music Journalist and Bass Player

2. 1) What inspired you to take up bass playing?
    Everybody else plays the g*tar!!

2) Are there any female bass players you look up to?
    No, hopefully there's some in the future though

3) Do you think there are enough female bass players out there as a role model for younger players?
    No! We always need more players!

4) Have you seen the new Daisy Rock bass guitars with novelty shapes like hearts, flowers etc? Do you think they will inspire other girls to take up bass?
    If it makes kids/people with smaller postures interested to play bass, why not.

5) One girl bassist I spoke to said “riot grrl is dead” and reckoned girl bassists were few and far between? Do you think that’s true and if so why?
    Because of the common perception that bass isn't for girls :(

6) What style of bass do you play? E.g. rock. Punk, alternative, jazz, funk, blues…etc
    Funk, rock, motown, tryhard jazz, but anything goes for money :)

7) What kind of bass guitars do you play?
    4 string fretted electric,
    5 string fretted electric,
    4 string fretless electric

8) If you saw a bass you REALLY liked, just how much would you be willing to spend on it?
    Depending on my budget, I'd say $3000 tops but that would never happen :)

9) Do you use any effects (FX) pedals?
    No!

10) Do you play in a band?
    Yes

11) Are you: self taught?
    Yes

12) How long have you been playing?
    8 years on and off

13) Do you read Bass Guitar Magazine?
    Sometimes

14) What country do you live in ?
    Orstraya.... or Australia for the rest of you

3. Ameli, your profile lists your gender as male. Missbassguitar was looking for female input. Is that an error in your profile? If so, you may want to correct that.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

Or is there something you want to tell us?

5. I'm only wanting to say what I said. My reply was not intended to be insulting at all, if that is how anyone interpretted it. It's possible that Ameli clicked on the wrong box when filling out the profile and may wish to correct it. If the profile is correct, then missbassguitar may need to know that information for use in the article.

6. Haha, yes, I'm a female indeed. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I better make a correction. Which is now :D :D

7. Is it really an "article?" or just another attempt by a commercial publication to gather demographic data for prospective advert sales?

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, I realize some need to see the j/k symbol.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

10. OK, maybe I need to explain why I even noticed. I saw that Ameli was from Australia. I have a great interest in geography and was curious as to what part of Australia she was from. I frequently look to see where many of our TBers are from as it expands my sense of community and gives me an opportunity to do some mental travel. It was then that I noticed that her profile indicated male and the thread was addressing females. I wasn't even looking to verfiy her gender. Again, my interest was completely geographic. By the way, I don't even know what the j/k symbol is.

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Missbassguitar, you really might like going to www.clatter.com-- husband/wife bass/drums duo who make great music like nothing else you've ever heard.....sorry to butt in, but I thought I'd pass that along!

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    We have a winner.

13. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.