Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Artist's Profile DVD now available

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Michael Manring, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi all,

As I promised a while ago, the DVD version of the 1998 Artist’s Profile TV show about me is now available. It’s an hour long version of a PBS documentary that contains interviews, live and studio performance footage (including a little with Michael Hedges) and some candid shots in the studio with Attention Deficit. The tunes included are:

No Wontons for Elvis
    Monkey Businessman
    Red Right Returning
    Diagonal Head Trauma
    Snakes Got Legs
    Bouree
    The Book of Living and Dying
    The Enormous Room
    My Three Moons
    The Fire Sermon
    La Sagrada Familia

The cost is $25 US (that includes the shipping). For those of you who are interested please send a check or money order to:

Michael Manring
    3542 Fruitvale Ave
    PMB 109
    Oakland, CA 94602-2327
    USA

Please make checks/money orders out to “Michael Manring”, include your name and address, and make sure to let me know it‘s the Artist‘s Profile DVD you‘d like. I’ll do my best to get them out quickly, but please have patience if I’m a little slow!

Thanks!
    Michael

2. Michael, what region are these DVD's? Region 1 = NTSC or multiregion?

Good news, anyway. I may be sending you a check.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds great. I'll add it to the Christmas list I give my wife :)

4. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh right, MKS -- good point about the region. I’m actually not sure what format it‘s in and nothing is indicated on the packaging. Is there an easy way I can find out?

5. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Hey Michael!

Any chance of doing Paypal? If not...I guess I'll just have to wait for the check to sail to the other coast...

6. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    I second that request :)

id love to order this dvd from you Michael but my(uk)bank charges a flat fee of $20 just to draw up a money order and they dont allow personal cheques to be cashed international :(

im sure paypal would be a great option for many of your non US based fans if you could manage it?

ive purchased cds/items from both matt garrasion and dean peer this way in the past few months and its saved a lot of time/pain that snail mailling payments international has caused me in the past

If not i guess i could get one of my US based friends to purchase and ship it for me for xmas......

7. all my dvds say NTSC on the bottom right hand corner of the box...NTSC is the one that will work in north america (or at least USA, i can't remember)...PAL is the one that works everywhere else

Charlie

8. Detritus

Detritus

Aug 18, 2003
    Hampshire
    Michael

Will you be selling copies of the DVD (preferably PAL version) at your forthcoming short tour of England with Steve Lawson?

9. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi guys,

I found out from the manufacturer that the DVD is in NTSC Region 1 format. My webmaster is currently in the process of setting up a new Paypal store at www.manthing.com and I should be able to sell the Artist’s Profile DVD there soon, but I’m sorry to say it’ll be a little while before it‘s ready. Since the DVD is in NTSC format I probably won’t be bringing copies with me to Europe. Sorry about that!

10. Tonkenna

Tonkenna

Dec 15, 2003
    Loughborough, UK
    Chaps,

I'm pretty sure that my DVD player here in the UK will play region 1 discs - many do now, and I have a number of US DVDs, so I'll be ordering one when you get Paypal arranged. I don't think the PAL/NTSC thing is an issue, just the region number.

I'm also sure that if you brought a bundle over to the uk in November and left them in Steve's teaching space, that they'd get sold quickly enough! It's like a bass Alladdin's cave in there.......

Looking forward very much to the tour, I'll see how many I can get to.

Cheers,

Phil

11. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i agree with the other guys. almost all of us would prefer to pay by Paypal.

i'm pretty sure that the PAL/NTSC video standard will be an issue if you intend to watch the DVD on your TV. i'm not sure if its going to affect watching the DVD on your computer though.

12. Detritus

Detritus

Aug 18, 2003
    Hampshire
    Tonkenna said:

"I'm also sure that if you brought a bundle over to the uk in November and left them in Steve's teaching space, that they'd get sold quickly enough! It's like a bass Alladdin's cave in there......."

I agree. I would take the risk of it not playing and buy one.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Hey Michael,

I just received your DVD, and must say it is incredibly well produced... flows well... much more content than I thought possible in an hour. Great entertainment and inspiration.

Thanks!

-AJ

14. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, AJ. I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

15. A bump just in time for Christmas! ;)

Michael - Do you still have any copies of this available? I'd like to get a copy (now that I've figured out how to get my DVD player to play region-free) and I've just missed out getting one from Steve. Can we pay by Paypal or money transfer?

Please PM me details if you need to...

All the very best, and have a very peaceful Christmas and New Year.

Best regards,
    Mike

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    +1 any still available?

17. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry to be slow to respond on this one, folks! The first pressing of the Artist’s Profile DVD sold out very quickly, but more are on the way. The Laser’s Edge label (the label that puts out our McGill/Manring/Stevens stuff) has graciously agreed to sell them on their site and they offer several methods of payment. You can find them at www.lasercd.com; go to the store section of the site and look under “Specialty Items, Videos & DVDs.” They may have a few copies left at the moment, but if not, they’ll have more soon. Thanks so much for all the interest in this!

18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the info Michael. I`ve just ordered the DVD from Lasercd.com. I`ll let you know my impressions when I receive it.

19. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    my copy has finally arrived! :hyper:

an amazing DVD Michael; packed with great music and inspiration. its was very educational as well.

Michael, just out of curiosity, did you play your 10-string Zon through a overdriven amp? sounds like its been played through an intestellar overdrive or something. its got awesome growl.

i was blown away when i watched the book of living and dying being played. ever since i heard it on book of flames i always thought that it was being played with 2 basses.

while i was interested to hear what Michael had to say in between the songs, i found it a bit distracting when he started talking in the middle of the songs.

that's my 2 cents for now...

20. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    My copy just arrived - WOW!!!!!!!