Ash Neck Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KJung, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Just curious if anyone has an ash neck bass. I know Fodera has been making them for a while. I had an ash neck MTD 535-24 (ash body with maple board) and ended up selling it. It was a beautiful bass, and sounded good fingerstyle... very aggressive and growly. However... when I slapped on it, the slap attack literally disappeared... in other words, there was almost a delay before the sound came out... absolutely horrible (and very strange... almost like a compressor turned to too high of a ratio). I never have had anything like that happen before, and am wondering if it was just this particular bass or if it's a problem with ash as a neck material. I have another MTD (a wenge 535 with swamp ash body and maple top) that is just a slap monster.

Anyway, what are your experiences with ash neck instruments.... how do they differ from the more traditional maple neck?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Talk to Mike Dimin he has an Awesome MTD with an Ash Neck , it really is a great player.
  3. Hey Kjung,

My Emperor 4 have a 5 piece ash neck and it have a ash body. It's a pretty aggressive bass but is sound really good when playing live. The slap tone on this bass is amazing and I have not experience what you are saying about your early MTD. The ash neck sound be more aggressive then maple. Lincoln Goines and Garrison have a ash neck on their main basses. If you talk to Mr. David B from gooveshooppe and he will tell you much more about ash necks. I think he likes ash necks very much

Just ordered a Epifani 4x10UL so my slap tone should be even more amazing :smug:

4. Let us know how you like that 410! Thanks for the info... it must have just been that particular bass. It was very strange. I actually got interested in Ash necks because of the comments like yours... big, aggressive, etc. I hope I run into one in a store sometime so I can check them out again.
  5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I find the ash neck to be the most responsive neck I have ever played. MY MTD 535-24 has an ash body with an ash/maple neck. Plyed wih a light touch, it soundds like a hollow body jazz guitar, if I dig in, it gets very aggressive. Mine has a great slap sound. Very articulate.

I find that with an ash neck, the notes jump off the bass. I am surprised at your findings. I wonder, did the bass have an exotic top? If so, what kind of top was on that bass. I think that some of the softer tops, like Buckeye Burl tend to compress the sound.