1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown 4x10 Combo Users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Aug 15, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
  2. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i had one for a few years and if you like the ashdown sound they are good and loud. i ran mine with a 1x15 for larger gigs but i could not get the tone i was looking for but thats just me. overall i was pleased with it. go easy if you use the octave knob, a little goes a long way and that meter looks way cool. also make sure you get the instruction book, its helpfull in dealing with the eq.
    good luck

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    This may sound dumb of me but .....
    What is the ashdown sound?

4. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    to me it was a bit toppy and slappy and when i tried to get a more organic bassy tone it carried the toppy tone with it. i bought it because i have an old trace and loved the tone and i heard the ashdown guy had set up ashdown and i was wrong. i think the mag was more suited to a modern sound and i guess i wanted a more old school tone. remember this is only my ears talking and others may feel totaly different about the mag.

5. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Sounds like you needed an ABM or LB series Ashdown?

Those Mag 4x10s are LOUD! and heavy! nice amps (I had a Mag combo before my ABM) Nice as well the fact you can add another cab underneath it for larger/outdoor stages. It may lack the low end slightly (especially if using a low B 5-string)

Make sure you get an EVO III (the IIs are ok as well) they are reliable!

6. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i second that. i was skint when i got mine so the mag was very attractive.a mate has the evo and is delighted with it. i think its the II but i'm not sure i've gone GK now .
    sorry ashers. ashdowns sound great, just not my great.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks everyone.

8. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    let us
    know how you get on.
    good luck

9. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    I have and use the hell out of a 4x10 Ashdown mag 300 combo in a working cover band setting (bars and some outdoor events). Ill agree completely with the top heavy feel to the frequencies but I've found that to be the case with almost any 4x10 setup. I have but rarely use the 1x15 addition cab that they recommend but it does remedy the low end problem.

The octave effect: I love it.. I mean it, it sounds great but ONLY if turned no more than 30-40%. A little goes a long way for sure.

This thing has a stupid amount of power for my uses and has been a road dog for 2 years playing 2-3 nights a week. It's heavy and well built as well so add casters if it hasn't been done already.

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I made the trip but ended up passing on it.
    It was very high end sounding and i just didnt like it.
    Loud as hell, but i prefer a thicker sounding cab.
    Considering im a p bass with flats guy i wasnt looking for that treble sound.