Ashdown 500 Qs....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lawndart, May 24, 2005.

1. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Im curious about some Ashdown 500 features. Do the 500 series head have a tube preamp? Probably just one? And how many speaker outputs do they have on the back? I noticed just one Speakon and one 1/4. Is that right? What would I have to do to use two cabs?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It has a SS preamp with some tubes in it, I think it has 3 tubes but I'm not sure. (I know its kinda wierd but it sounds real awesome) To plug in 2 cabs, you have to chain em together.
  3. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    There is one tube in the tube stage of the pre-amp... This can be blended with a separate solid state pre-amp...

There is one speakon output and one 1/4 inch output wired in parallel...

You can either chain your cabs from one output... or run one out of each output... no difference...

This is for the 500 EVO II, Hope this helps...
  4. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    wouldnt chaining them together drop the ohmage to 16ohms? I could be wrong. I have two Aguilar GS112s both rated at 8ohms.
  5. NO,2 8 Ohm cabs will give you 4 ohms.....
  6. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thanks....a whole bunch actually. I could have sworn i read somewhere that they equal 16ohms.
  7. I second all of that. :)
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Only if you chained them in series. And you would have to really know what you're doing to do that correctly. If you chain cabs with you rregular old cables, it's still in parallel and the impedence load is actually reduced.