Ashdown ABM 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philzbass, Jan 21, 2006.

1. I Just started looking into Ashdown amps and I'm wondering if anyone has any input (good or bad). I'm new to this brand but I've heard alot of good things.

Well I did hear one bad review, was it a fluke?
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The ABM 500 is a great amp. It produces a warm, yet clean tone with plenty of volume. The 'input mix' knob on the pre allows you to add some grit to your sound if you wish. You have a couple of options as-far-as the chassis goes, too. You can get the padded carry-along version (blue with black padding) or the rack-mount version (chrome face.)

IMO, you can't go wrong with Ashdown.
  3. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Ditto this!

I have the chrome-faced rackmounted version. Besides being a great performing amp, it looks cool... stage lights sparkle off of the chrome.

The only negative things I will say about this amp are purely cosmetic. They bug me nonetheless, but I've grown to accept them:

1.) Power switch is in the back... I prefer that to be in the front...
    2.) Tuner out is in the front... should be in the back...
    3.) While the chrome face is really cool, IMO, the lable fonts for all of the switches, dials and sliders are pretty difficult to read...

...other than that, you couldn't go wrong if you went with an ABM500 Evo-II. :smug:
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not many gigs go by where I don't get a compliment on my sound. I've struggled with many an amp soundwise untill I got the Ashdown. I run it nearly flat and it sounds big, warm and clear. Great amp all around.
  5. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I too own an Ashdown ABM EVO 500. It is a great amp, and their customer service is very good considering they are the in UK...if you lose a screw or a nut or something dumb like that, they will send you one. Sound is impressive...I bought mine in 2002 and A/B/C'd it SWR and Genz Benz. There was no comparison.

My only complaint is the VU meter light bulb is intermittent...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This problem just started a few months ago. As the VU meter itself still works and everything else is fine, I haven't bothered to bring it in.

At $899, it is a great deal. I also have two Ashdown ABM 2X10 cabs and they are incredibly solid and efficient. I play in two cover bands with Marshalls and I cut right through that mess. My drummer loves the way my amp sounds...he told me that other bass players he's played with have had bigger rigs but mine sounds the best.

Be forewarned...their stuff is not light in weight. Especially the cabs...My 2x10's are almost 65 pounds each. Not impossible to move, of course, but I live on the third floor...:D
  6. i own one, great amp

tried just about every amp in the bass shop and walked out with the abm 500 evo II
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve got one on the way.
    I used to own an ABM300 and it was everything that Ampeg tries to be. But it can still get quite HiFi, although still warm.
  8. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    ive got the 300watt version and have been getting good remarks from band mates about the sound.
    my gripes with it are
    1. the mute button doesnt mute, it just pads the sound. not a big problem but its not as advertised
    2. yes its heavy
    3. wish i had got the 575watt version

9. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I've been looking at this head as well, I have a Mag 300 and was thinking of upgrading...but I can't decide between the Ashdown 500 Evo II and dishing out a few hundred more for a Thunderfunk 550...
  10. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I would A/B an Ashdown ABM with an Aguilar or a GK head, then. That would probably give you a good idea of what the differences would be like. The tube pre amp makes a difference in sound for the better, IMO.

I'm sure the Thunderfunk is a great amp, but I am a tube preamp convert after playing solid state for years.
  11. Thanx for all the responses

Hearing that their everything Ampeg tries to be is kinda funny. I own a B2R and it's been alright but a little weak when it comes to power. I've tried every amp Ampeg makes and the only ones I'd even consider are;

1- SVT CL (a little too pricey, like $1599 new)
    2- SVT 6Pro (it's new, so I don't know)

Pretty much everything I've heard is pointing me towards the Ashdown, allthough I haven't even tried one yet.

I guess I gotta get up to my local music store
  12. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    As a user of GK, Mesa, vintage SVT, and Ashdown, I can say honestly the Ashdown has IMO the best tone out of the box - next to the SVT of course. It can be clean or dirty, or a mix. lots of bottom and clear smooth highs.
    My guitarist described it as "tight" sounding. It's a cool amp.
    Try it...
  13. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm surprised that I was the first one to bring this us, but have you tried usin the "search" function and put in ashdown ABM500. There is a wealth of informatoin and experiences on this board. I read through about 2 years of posts before I made the decision to actually pull the trigger on one of these. I've been reluctant to write a review of the Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II RM(Rackmount Chrome Face) with my Bergantino NV610, as I haven't tried it in a gigging situation yet...however from jamming in my living room with a drum machine, it sounds "saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet":bassist:
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Coincidently, I replaced my pre/power rig (Aguilar 659/QSC1602) with an ABM500. I sold the 659 to Poon :) Check out Poon's other gear in his profile and you get an idea of his boutique tastes, so his praises come with some weight.

I recommend the Ashdown too: plenty of power, warm yet fairly modern. It's not "crispy" like some amps, so if you like super-hi it might be lacking.
  15. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Well... I suggest you get out there and gig with that set-up son, and then tell us all about it!

BTW, Poon... your last name wouldn't be "Tang", would it? Heh-heh-heh... just kidding, brah! :D
  16. How do you think the ABM500 would match up with a Ampeg SVT 410HLF?

Just wondering
  17. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Like I haven't heard that one before. My last name is actually Poon.
    People keep asking me if I can mary a girl with the last name I could have the Poon - Tang wedding. Pretty childish, but funny never the less. The other one I hear is "name your kid Annie", so during roll call they would be like, Poon, Annie. Is there Poon-Annie here?
  18. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've bought quite a bit of gear from Wally, so I think get that Boutique taste from somewhere...:smug:. I think your praise comes with quite a bit of weight as well.
  19. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    :D Nah! I figured you did... I have a good buddy friend over here on Oahu, long-long Chinese ancestry going back to the original imigrants brought over to work in the cane fields... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. His parents have old pictures on the walls of their home showing some of their relatives... their family name is Mao.

So... when my buddy Geoff Mao became a daddy... we started calling him "Papa-um-mao-Mao"... talk about childish! :D

Me ke'aloha pumehana to you, Mr. Poon... ;)
  20. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D