1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown ABM500 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Overdrive777, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Hi!
    Yesterday, I bought a used Ashdown ABM500 at a really good price!:)
    It sounds like expected, BUT when I engage the compressor, the volume drops really low. Even when I have the knob full counter clockwise (7 o'clock) the output is really low with no compressor effect. When I turn the knob it gives me more compressor effect but still at a low volume.

Anyone else has this problem? Should it be like this? If not, anyones got a hint of how the problem can be solved?

Here's a sound sample. The middle part is with the compressor engaged and the knob at zero, 7 o'clock.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    Not sure why Thats happening, sounds like a possible fault? I use a mag head and the compressor increases the volume substantially.....

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry to say, but seems like you bought a used, broken amp. I'd be talking to the seller to make amends, and get the amp to a tech.

4. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for your replies!
    I will talk to the seller again. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be? Trying to calculate if it would be worth spending money to fix it.
    (I paid approx. $300 for it...)
    I like the tone, but it would be nice to have a built-in compressor:)

Relsom likes this.
  5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I had several ABM500, EVO1, EVO2 (both didn't have a compressor) and even two EVO3 (one UK made, one PRC made)
    Both EVO3 have/had this as well....
    MAYBE it depends on the input gain? I run mine rather high.
    I don't have my amp at hand. You could try running a lower input gain setting and see if the difference in volume persists.

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I own two of these, and it's a great head, but the compressor is junk.

I reccommend buying a compressor pedal.

7. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ok. So it was probably designed like this. What a waste...
    The manual says the compressor compensate for the volume loss with gain but obviously not...
    The strange this is that when I turn the knob to get more compression the volume goes up a bit but not at all like the volume with the compressor off.
    Then I will keep it and buy a pedal. Any suggestion?;)

8. fafadj

fafadj

Mar 16, 2013
    hi there im new with this i have a ep1500 behringer amp and when i play it soft its ok but when i play it a little bit hard it echo on one channel please can some one tell whats wrong yhanks

9. Just to echo that ABM EVO3's compressor is useless, and robs so much volume as to be useless.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What kind of bass are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  11. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A passive Fender P.

12. snowtraveler65

snowtraveler65

Feb 8, 2011
    The problem is that you have a Behringer amp. They are pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. Scout around for used quality gear if price is a concern. There is always something up for sale here.
    P.S. On TB we try to stay on topic with O.P. If you have a question/comment based on a different piece of equipment, you should start a new thread. ;)

13. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    Got a question regarding the ABM500 speaker outs. I have two ABM speakers. ABM 1x15 and an ABM 4x10. There are two speaker outs. Should I connect one speaker to the out and the other speaker to the second out? Or should I connect one of the cabs to the other. Don't wanna blow speakers or fry the amp. Thanks very much!

14. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It doesn't matter. Both ways will work just fine:)

15. 20774d1134590211-hijack-thread-hijack.