Ashdown Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by x4x, May 11, 2004.

1. x4x

May 10, 2003
    Ok, what should i get to go with the MAG 300 head

- The store recommended a 15" + a 4 x 10", but isn't that overkill?
    - My guess is that the 15" alone won't give much highs
    - Is the 4 x 10" as a stand-alone recommended?
    - What about the 15" + 2 X 10" ?
    - or something else

I'm a little stuck here, dunno what to get ...

It's gonna be used as an all purpose rig for rehearsals and live performance (melodic punk-rock and occasional harder stuff)
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I use my MAG300 with a 2x10" cab and it's perfect. The only reason why I'm gonna add an extra cab is that I want more power.
  3. x4x

May 10, 2003
    well thats the thing, i need the power, but i'm on a tight budget.

so what should be the best choice:

a single 4 x 10
    or a 15" with a 2 x 10

or should i save for the 15" + the 4 x 10"?
  4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My extra cab is gonna be another 2x10". This will give me save tone as the one I currently have, but with more power.

And for my very personal taste, 2 2x10" are more comfortable to carry than 1 4x10".
  5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Get in touch with Marc Serio at DR.BASSCABS if you're tight on a budget.He builds custom cabinets, computer tuned and very reasonable.He will also answer your questions about optimal performance with your head.He is definately the most bang for the buck.You can probably get his address right here on this forum, but it is debasscabs.He is a great guy and you can get a great cabinet for probably 300 bucks or less.Tell him Tony sent you.
  6. x4x

May 10, 2003
    i mailed dr basscabs.

But i think getting those cabs shipped to europe isn't going to be cheap if i want them in one piece :(
  7. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ashdown makes a cab that is a 2x10 and 1x15 in one. Maybe that is what you need?
  8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had one in my "Ashdown ABM" era, and though it's a good cab, 1/ it doesn't give anything more than a 2x10 cab + a 1x15 cab, and 2/ it's very heavy.

9. For years I managed with a Trace Elliot 250 watt head and a Trace Elliot 4 x 10 cab.

Where it did let me down a little was with my 5 string - it got a bit muddy on the low B string when you strayed below E! I added a 1 x 15 after a number of years and found the sound to be nice, full, and in my opinion complete!

Nowadays, I have went to Ashdown (ABM500 EVO) and have the Mini 4 x 8 and Mini 1 x 15 cabs. Both cabinets I managed to get for £690 GBP - not sure what that is in your money.....but I know it might not be within your budget!

I have used the cabs individually, and I feel that on it's own the Mini 4 x 8 cab is a better stand alone cab!
  10. smifedeg

Apr 28, 2004
    Århus, Denmark
    In my Asdown days I played my ABM 300 EVO I through the MAG 210T cab and a an Eden 1x15" and it sounded amazing, I must say it's still one of the best sounds I've had. I used it in my progressive metal band, we are only a trio so everyone is heared, and the combination worked perfectly.

I later upgraded to the ABM 500 EVO II and 8x10 Lee Jackson cab's, then sold it again very quickly but that's another story.
  11. VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    for me, the MAG cabs are great! I've recently bought a 2x10, and will be following it up with a 1x15. I'm currently getting 150 watts from my amp at 8 ohms, but with the second cab it will be 300 @ 4 ohms!
  12. I never understood when people pair 4x10's with 1x15's. It seems like the 15" will be overpowered and therefore somewhat irrelevant. I've always thought that 2x10's were a better match for 1x15's.

YMMV of course.