1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown evo ii 900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Panda8time, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Panda8time

Panda8time

Jul 22, 2019
    Does anyone one know much about the ashdown evo ii 900? I know it's 2 evo ii 500 amps together, pretty much 2 power amps, but would it be safe to only use one cab with it or would that damage the amp because of the other output having no load?
    Also if there's anything about the amp I should know about, good or bad and even features that would be handy to know I would appreciate it. I'm trying to understand and know every thing about this amp as I recently bought one with a 4 by 10 abm ashdown cab and 1 by 15 abm ashdown cab.

jeff7bass likes this.
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Sounds like my Carvin BX1200, which also has two amps which can run in dual amp mode OR bridge mode by flipping the switch in back. Bridge mode links both amps together into a 4 ohm minimum. Either way, running a single cab doesn't hurt it. In bridge mode, it's just more power into the single cab. In dual mono, the second amp is dormant. I have to look at the manual to be certain.

Panda8time likes this.
  3. Panda8time

Panda8time

Jul 22, 2019
    Thanks for the reply man. Sadly I don't have a manual and when I look one up it doesn't give me the answers I'm looking for. The 2 outputs are 4ohms but my 2 cabs are 8 ohms which cuts the watts in half out of each output which I'm fine with, I would just like the option if it's there to just use one cab if the 2 would be too much for a venue verging the size. I don't think this head has a switch like yours tho.

jeff7bass likes this.
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Yeah it doesn't have two volume knobs so the Input GAIN and Output apply to both amps. I doubt having 8 ohm cabs cuts the power in half. Mine is 275w @ 8 ohms each and 400w @ 4 ohms. There's no way you will hurt the other amp without hooking up a cab to it though.

Panda8time likes this.
  5. Panda8time

Panda8time

Jul 22, 2019
    Is it only valve amps that you have to worry about not having a load or would this apply to some solid state amp. Just making sure so i dont blow anything. Thanks again.

6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It is not safe to combine both power amp outputs into one cabinet.
    In fact, it will most certainly cause damage.

You can use each side of the amp to drive a separate cabinet as there is no "mono" switch.
    BTW, this is my only gripe (other than the lame compressor) with the ABM series.
    Absolutley love the tone though

7. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g DasGre0g Supporting Member

I have actually both the evo II and evo III so I have some experience. Each power amp have two speaker inputs, and EACH power amp separately handles a minimum of 4 ohm. So basically you can run as little as a single 8 ohm cab from one side, one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cab.. from EACH side. So you can certainly just run a single 8 ohm cab if you want to. However, IF you hate the people living 3 streets over, OR have a large gig, you can go as far as two 8 ohm cabs in to EACH power amp. Or...one 4 ohm cab from each side, or two 8 ohm cabs in one side and one 4 ohm in the other amp. You can get extremely creative if you like, or as basic as necessary. I have an 8 ohm VS212 i use for most practices, but sometimes I pair it with an 8 ohm ABM410 through one amp. Occasionally I also connect a 4 ohm cab through the other amp. I HOPE that helps, and I got all that info correct!

Instagram_anthrofelidae_39486377_2007706365941798_1936698137854869504_n.jpg Instagram_anthrofelidae_52582824_2375866729091769_6234805150670220222_n.jpg Instagram_anthrofelidae_39546707_1136112536565089_6870987898733199360_n.jpg 20190814_101833.jpg

foal30 and Panda8time like this.
  8. Panda8time

Panda8time

Jul 22, 2019
    Thanks man. Yea that really helps, I appreciate it. Also nice gear.

Dasgre0g likes this.
  9. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g DasGre0g Supporting Member

You are very welcome. If I can help further, just let me know! Or check out the Ashdown club

Panda8time likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021