Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Klystron 400 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EddyK, May 19, 2005.

1. EddyK

EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    My Music Store has an Ashdown Klystron 400 Combo (2x10) to sell (its in commission). The price-tag is EUR 700, but I reckon you could get it for 600. The Amp seems very similar to the ABM-Series. I've read a review in Bass Player 6/98 which was very favourable.

Any experiences with that amp. Can it stand up to the ABM-Series? Would you consider it a good deal?

Thanks for your opinions!

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I have one!! my only complaint is because of me digging a lot into the bass, the 10 seem to fart a little bit out because theyre just tens!!! I love the dept of 15s but thats just me!!

3. EddyK

EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    So, do you run an additional 1x15 with the combo? The power supply should be more than enough! What kind of speakers are the tens, anyway (Watt?)? How do you use the combo? For gigs? Is it loud enough w/o extra-speakers? What exactly do you mean with "fart out".

Sorry bout all the questions, but its rather hard to find any infos on the Klystron. Lots of thanx so far!

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    first of all, the sounds looks like an ampeg which copulated with a gallien krueger or a trace elliot a cleaner ampeg I would say
    the amp has is own caracter but you absolutelly can recognize the bass which the sound come from
    I wanted to add a 15 cab to the setup but Im likely going to built a special rack for the head for having the 210 at home and a 412 at rehearsals
    the 10's are celestions I think they're about 150-200 watt, anyway don't be scared because all alone the combo will pump out 280 watt because of the 8hm configuration. If you add anoter cab that's also in 8 ohm you will have 4 ohms in total , thus allowing to pump out the full 400 watts!!!

Personally, rehearsals i crank to half volume and about half gain input (depending on bass) and it is way enoug to hear every single note through a mix
    what I meant by farting out is that 210 are know to be not the very best in low end accuracy, so they tend to be less precise and articulate in th low end section, but this is only on lower than A (normal A , open string A)notes, the rest is beautifull

dis mention I liked ashdowns???

5. EddyK

EddyK

May 10, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I've just read that Ashdown supplied a special 15 active box (with its own 400 Watt Power Amp!) for the Combo. That should produce the missing lows big time! Wonder if there's still one of those available (used). That should be a mighty sound!

Thanks for your help lowmid! (By the way I like Ashdown, too, and I definitely want to get one!)

6. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    powered sub isn't availiable anymore, never saw one used, not even Info on one on th net.... you could simply go for a warwick pro 15 or even a ABM 115 ashdown used, that would be great... by the way, itisnt areal lack of low end, just a lack of low end precision

7. Mr Stress

Mr Stress

Apr 7, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
    That amp for only 600-700 € is a real DEAL!

I'm the proudly owner of one of that Ashdown Klystron combo amps (400w, 4x10" speakers), and IMO is just better than the Ashdown evo II ones. Yeah, I know it's only 400w (with an extension cabinet) instead of 575w, but the CELESTION speakers (yeah, Celestion) sounds MUCH better than the Ashdown BlueLine one's.
    fully agree with you, really love this amp.