1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Lomenzo Bass Hyperdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BruceBass3901, Apr 26, 2010.

1. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I have just got one of these pedals, and after flicking throguh some of James' own settings I found on the website, I am loving it.

Really, I was wondering if anybody else who has one of these has found a setting that they really love.

Anybody out there got one and wants to share with the group?

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Nobody else has one then? :(

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For some reason they haven't taken off in popularity here. I only know of a couple guys here that have that pedal-- and one of them is LoMenzo. :p

I suspect the problem is that the rest of Ashdown's pedals are kind of lame, so people (including me) are reluctant to spend money to try it out.

Driven Crane likes this.
  4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    It's a good all purpose "Drive" to "Distortion" pedal. Now granted, there's other distortion pedals that have more distortion, it's a good overall pedal, I own one and occasionally gig with it. I can still keep my low end with it.

5. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    @bongo - I got mine for about half the retail price, so thought 'Why not give it a try?'. I like it, but it isn't massively versatile. I can only get a couple of usealbe settings out of it, but thats only from a 10 minute mess about with it last night.

@Rickett - Would oyu mind giving me an example of the setting(s) you use for yours?

6. I bought mine a couple of months ago, and it beats the hell out my other dirt boxes (ODB-3, MXR M80). Really keeps the low end, even on higher gain settings.

My favourite setting is:
    Input: 3 o'clock
    Freq: 9 o'clock
    Drive: Maxed out
    Mix: 3 o'clock
    Output: 11-12 o'clock
    'Q' / +10: Up / down

Finally going to test it live this saturday. Can't wait!

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com

I do use mine for straight up distortion, but I also have 3 band electronics in both my gig basses, 1 fretted and 1 fretless.

In = max
    Freq = 8 oclock
    Q switch = up
    Drive = max
    +10 = down
    mix = 100%
    output = 12 oclock

But also keep in mind, I use an SVT VR. Wireless out into channel 1 normal, out of channel 1 bright, into JLo, out of JLo, into channel 2 normal.
    So, I have a little bit different setup than going from the bass, to the JLo, to the amp.

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    how did you get on with the settings i sent you?

9. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Having played with it a little more last night, I have come to the conlusion that it is a very 'treble-y' ditortion, as oposed to my Bass Big Muff.

@crapusername - The settings you sent me were very nice on the BBM, but the setting on the Lomenzo was 'lacking something' for the sound I want. Currently, my favourite setting is the last one from the website, the ''Cello con Flamos'' setting.

@Hypocrite + Rickett - Thanks for those, I shall try them out later =)

Thanks for all the help everyone

10. Spikeyxx

Spikeyxx

Aug 18, 2010
    Newcastle, UK
    I bought one of these yesterday and used it live on the night time. Messing on in the house was interesting and it yields some decent overdrives for soloing, but where it really shines is on the blues setting. I used this at our gig with my 5 string and 6 string straight into the amp and out through the front of house and it added a midrange roar while keeping a solid low end. For me this was ideal to thicken up the sound on our heavier songs and for the songs with one guitar.

11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Bumping this old thread as I just got to hear one of these this past weekend - man, it's amazing! Fuzzbass was gracious enough to bring his arsenal of killer pedals so we were able to do back-to-back comparisons - tough competition with some of the most popular boutique pedals out there, but I much preferred this pedal hands down. J-Lo's signature pedal deserves more love folks. I gotta pick this one up!

BetterRed, Fuzzbass and Hypocrite like this.
  12. Old thread indeed! I still love my Hyperdrive, even though it has taken a back seat to my B3K.
    Recently got a Joyo UD, next step is to A/B the two, and see how well they feed the B3K.

13. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I replaced mine with an EBS Sheehan drive, cause it's smaller and the dual volume controls work far better for me than a blend control. Otherwise it 's a cool pedal based on the old Pearce preamp he and Billy used.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'll chime in too. I love the Hyperdrive as much or more than any other OD pedal I've tried. It's hard to get truly bad sound out of it. For more lows, just dial the Mix (Blend) control back. I guess it's a mid-gain distortion device, but the sweep mid gives it great tonal versatility within its gain range.

I typically use the subtle setting James explains first in his demo below, but lately I've been enjoying heavier "full blitzkrieg" tones, and also using the mid sweep to dial in different tonal flavors.

I think bongo was right that its size and appearance might turn people off, but they work for me and it seems rugged. I love the tonal results so much I'm tempted to buy a backup in case it goes out of production.

Lomenzo's demo:

JGR likes this.