ashdown mag 300H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brohar, Jan 13, 2005.

1. brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    I was thinking about getting a Ashdown mag 300H in combination with a Avatar B212. Avatar is running a special where you can get the amp for 288 w/ free ship with puchase of a cab.

Now some questions:

1: Is this a good quality and sounding amp?
    2: Is this a good amp/speaker pair?
    3: Is this enough power for a practice and stage monitor rig in a hard rock band?
    4: Will 2x12 be good for funk/rock

Any feedback or other suggestions is greatly appreiciated!
    fyi: looking to spend 600-700 max on both
  2. skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I am rarely completely negative about a product but I have to say something about the Ashdown MAG series

I purchased the same thing because I had heard good reports and wanted to give the company a try and this model was very reasonably priced.

When I got the amp it was broken right of the box, the AC plug was smashed, forced into the unit. I returned it with no problem to the retailer for a refund.

However, it brings some concern.

These units are manufactured in China which is why they are so inexpensive. The problem is that the quality assurance that I assume goes into British made Ashdown units must NOT be there. Now, my unit could have been damaged during shipping, the packaging was almost non-existent, certainly not what I would use to ship an electronic unit overseas. However, since there were no markings on the box or evidence of mishandling, I concluded that it was just a dud of the assembly line. Regardless of whether it is bad workmanship or bad packing is an indication that someone in the chain of production is NOT paying any attention.

My reservation with Ashdown is that if one is bad right out of the box, how reliable will the next one be? I would hate to have it go down at a gig.

In addition, I wrote a letter to Ashdown explaining what happened and I never heard back from anyone. And while I don't expect a formal written apology, some type of acknowledgement just seems like good customer service or PR.

On a different note, the Avatar 212 is an excellent choice at a reasonable price. I have one myself and it provides exactly what I need, the low end of a single 15 and the clear highs and punchy mids you need from a 2 x 10.
  3. brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    What about an Eden wt300 for all the question above?
  4. We can only form our opinions based on our own experience and so I would have to differ.

I have been using Ashdown exclusively since 2000 and the only problem ihave EVER had was earth hum on an ABM combo which was dealt with promptly and efficiently. I have never experienced anything less than superb customer service and nothing ever seem sto be too much trouble.

I think that Mark Gooday would be the first to admit thatat one time, there did seem to be a problem with QC in China, but I sincerely believe that this has now been rectified.

I am now using a Mag 2x10T 300 Combo with a Mag 1x15 Deep Cab and I can honestly say that I can find nothing negative to say about it at all. Unbeatable value for money.

IMHO, of course. :)
  5. I had the MAG 300H as a backup to my Ampeg SVTCL and for the money this amps is great. Quality is fine, ive seen top of the range gear with faults and broken bits out of the box new so do judge Ashdown on that.

Judge it based upon the tone and sound you hear. I loved it so much i got the ABM 500 EVO 11 as well and sold my Ampeg, what does that tell you !!
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont see how you can cast assertions that QC is bad on a whole line because you got one amp that had a broken socket, and you didnt even get another to see if you liked it.