Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jack, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hi guys,Ive been after a new rig for some time and Im pretty decided on a few things:

Ashdown RPM-1
    Poweramp (About 500W at 8ohms a side)
    Cabs? I was serioulsy looking at the Ashdown MAG cabs, and this is my question what about a MAG 115 + 410?

What are your opinions on the MAG series cabs? Users?
    Thanks.

EDIT - And do they have Speakon connectors?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have neither MAG-115 nor MAG-410, but a MAG-210T, and FWIW it is an excellent cab. Amazing headroom according to its size... and price.
    Hope this helps,
    JL

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks Jean, thats what I wanted to hear.

Anyone else? :)

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I was looking at them for my evo II 500... But most of them seemed a little low on the power ratings for my head...

Also, I don't think that you can adjust the tweeter level...

That kind of turned me off...

However, I have never heard one and some people seem to really like them...

5. I have a MAG115 sitting in an ashdown combo. I havent been playing for that long that I can instantly tell you how good it is, but I like it Nice sound, and plenty of headroom as far as I can tell. I saw/heard my teacher play a 410 (not a combo), and it sounded real fine. Its his choice cab. Hope this helps.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thankyou. Its mainly just for stage monitoring, 95% of the gigs I play they take a signal to the PA. So as long as they sound OK, and wont fall apart, I think theyre for me.

Cheers.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't have any experience of the MAG cabs, but I own an Electric Blue 15" combo and have 2 ABM cabs - the Mini48 and the Mini15.......all of these sound excellent, so I can only imagine that the MAG cabs are excellent sounding too!

8. I use a Mag 2x10T Combo sitting on a Mag 1x15 Deep Cab and I get a killer sound (IMHO of course!).

I previously used the ABM range but, being a bit of a "plug and play" sort of a bloke, all the extra bells and whistles which call for the extra price on the ABMs were going unused anyway. Thats what led me to the Mag range AND, I did notice in A/B test that I actually PREFERRED the sound from the Mag cabs to the ABMs.

Trouble is, it's ALL subjective at the end of the day. All I can really say is that I'm more thn happy with my sound and, realistically, I don't think I can ask for more than that can I?

9. yes they have speakons... i use a 115 considering a 4*8 now

or a MAG410 or MAG210

The main differences between the MAG and ABM cabs are the materials used... The wood is lower quality and thinner (i like this as it makes them lighter) the covering is rat fur and not vinyl again i prefer! handles are ace. sound is ace. reasonable amount of power handling not the loudest of cabs but you can do worse!

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Cool, Im liking this!

Thanks for all the replies. One of the above posts got me thinking, when played loud, do the tweets get too harsh? I only got to play the cabs at 'store volumes'. Thanks again. (And sorry for so many questions) :smug:

11. No tweet harshness that I have noticed.