1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown rig setup-4ohm or 8ohm??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexofc69, May 30, 2007.

1. I have an Ashdown MK-500, Tech21 SansAmps, with 2 410T (4 x 10) cabs. These are 8ohm. I see that Ashdown came out with 4ohm versions.
    It seems that the 8ohm cab set up always feels overdriven. I ran 1 4x10 with a Mesa Boogie 18" at 4ohms for a bit and it felt better. i didnt have to turn up the input as much. Im sure the 18 made a difference.
    Am I getting the full power with the 8 ohm cabs??
    I have played an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro through a Ampeg 4 ohm 410 cab and it felt like it had more power and the cab was pushing more air.

I love my MK500, but also want a round warm sound of an Ampeg SVT-3 etc.
    Any suggestions??

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Two 8 ohm cabs give you 4 ohms. You are getting full power from the amp.

In fact, you cannot run two 4 ohm cabs since that would be 2 ohms, less than the amp can safely run. If you ran two 4 ohm cabs, well you were lucky.

How do you set the EQ for the amp?

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021