At at crossroads. Your opinion counts.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Octalcode, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Octalcode

Octalcode

Apr 20, 2008
    OK, here's the deal.
    I'm playing bass in a couple of cover bands. Nothing fancy. 3 piece and a 5 piece. Play out 2 times a month. Small venues. Club scene. 100 - 400 with the occasional outdoor show, maybe 250 - 500. It's just for fun, not a job. I was using an Ampeg BA115HP (which I love for a stage monitor) until I stumbled upon an Acoustic B600H with an Acoustic B410 for $300. Some kid talked his parents with $$ into buying it for him as his first amp. You know the story. 3 months later, he lost interest, and I picked it up. In short, I'm not happy with the B410 tone. Sounds like crap. I just love that Ampeg tube tone but I just don't play out enough to justify laying down that kind of $$ to play out 2X a month. So I'm thinking of taking the B410 "out for a ride with big Tony" and pairing up the Acoustic B600H with an Ampeg 410HLF (love those lows), or just scrapping the whole setup and going with a GK 700RB and a neo 210. I'm playing this with a Fender P with flats and occasionally an Epi Beatle bass. So go ahead. Give me your thoughts.

2. GK700RB-II and Neo 212-II....never look back

3. i think the B600H + 410HLF would make a great rig.

-RTK

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    if you want a 410hlf like sound, there's only one place to get it. i think it would be fine with the acoustic head too, but gk does make nice stuff.

5. Octalcode

Octalcode

Apr 20, 2008
    Yeah, I gotta agree. GK sounds good for the $$. OK, so the B410 cab is going. I'm sure I'll find a fairly priced 410HLF on CL or EBay. Next is to work on swapping the Acoustic out for the GK. Thanks for the input. Feel free to keep suggesting.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

We don't have any dealers around here, but those new GK combos seem to be getting a lot of love.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    would rather schlep my MB2-500 and a couple of neo 1x12's FWIW... Avatar's for instance ...

8. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I would get the GK head and the 410HLF and sell the rest.

9. Octalcode

Octalcode

Apr 20, 2008
    Well, I was able to find an Ampeg 410HLF Classic on CL. Cab is like new, built in 2007. Spent its life in a small studio, barely used, and it shows. Still had the hang tag. Negotiated a very reasonable price. ($350). Had to drive into NYC to get it, but it was worth the trip.
    Holy Smokes! Plugged into my Acoustic B600H, and the amp came alive!! Now there's the tone that I was looking for! Ready to push the old Acoustic B410 cab out the window.
    But I'm still looking at that GK 700RB......

10. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Nice score man. I would go for the GK as well. Give yourself options.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Buy a $30 Behringer BDI21, put it in the signal path to the amp and set it up for SVT emulation. You'll like the results. I've had one for years and it's a great little box that can do the Ampeg emulation well. The paperwork with the box tells you how to set it for that sound.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021