1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atelier Z or Dragonfly (Harry's Engineering)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Looking at possibly picking up a new axe.

Digging some of the basses I've seen by Atelier Z and also Dragonfly (Harry's Engineering).

Anyone here had their hands on both? If so, pros / cons of each?

Thanks!

2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mike Lull Basses, Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, SIT Strings
    Both are hard to beat. It's really a toss up. I've had several Atelier's and they've all been amazing. I currently have a Dragonfly CS5 and have a Fat J on order. Tonally, the Atelier's are more vintage J on steroids ala Marcus. The Dragonfly is a bit more polite set flat but can get super spanky and "in your face" if you boost the treble and bass. For me, the Dragonflys win in the playability department. The Atelier heel block tends to be..well, blocky for lack of a better term and it's difficult to get to the last fret(if that's your thing). The upper register on the Dragonfly is unbelievable. I'd buy either of these over one of their boutique US counterparts.

Winton likes this.
  3. Quadzilla

Thanks for the insight! Leaning towards the Dragonfly. I'm told their preamp is one of the best made too.

Adam Wright likes this.
  4. Pierre Ganseman

Pierre Ganseman Commercial User

Jun 28, 2017
    Brussels
    Pro bass dealer based in europe(bassfreaks.net)

best bass i ever had in stock

mb94952, Dr. Cheese and Adam Wright like this.
  5. Quadzilla

I now have both and they are awesome!
    20171128_200235-1~2.jpg

BAESSIST-Z, mb94952, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  6. Pierre Ganseman

Jun 28, 2017
    Brussels
    indeed, getting this made i think, withn a J at the bridge

Attached Files:

• sp4.jpg
      sp4.jpg
      File size:
      23.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Quadzilla

Nice! There is an active, orange Dragonfly P for sale in the classifieds. My local buddy was the orogiori owner. He ordered via Bass Japan Direct. As I recall, he paid $2,500ish. That was less than a year ago. The new owner is asking less than half that. Quite a bargain in my humble opinion...

8. Pierre Ganseman

Jun 28, 2017
    Brussels
    yes , I know Danny well. He's helped me tons getting Atelier Z , Dragonfly , Moon Dealership. I owe him for life or at least a good while :)

cheers

Winton likes this.
  9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mike Lull Basses, Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, SIT Strings
    I now have a PJ4 Atelier Z and a Dragonfly 24 fret PJ5 on order from Danny Stewart. Recently got to play the Moody Theatre in Austin,Tx where they film the Austin City Limits television show and I played my CS5 the entire set.

Attached Files:

Winton and Quadzilla like this.
  10. Pierre Ganseman

Jun 28, 2017
    Brussels

oh hey Adam :) i think we spoke about an Enfield at some point. I personally have a Fat J from harry and will order SJ soon i think.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Quadzilla and Adam Wright like this.
  11. Pierre Ganseman

Jun 28, 2017
    Brussels

BAESSIST-Z and Quadzilla like this.
  12. Quadzilla

Oh my!

13. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

You're killin' me Quadzilla ! I just discovered Danny Stewart on Youtube. That man can PLAY !. I went all over his website and read about how Dragonfly are some of the "best basses ever created" in the industry. I've always been a MIJ freak, but these boutique MIJ's are in a league of their own. Price wise, less than Fodera and Alembic for sure, so in the world of Rolls Royce basses, probably a good deal. I see there is Bacchus, Dragonfly, Ateliere (not sure if I spelled it correctly, don't know how to pronounce it). Anyway, this is a WHOLE new world of MIJ I just discovered and would love to learn more, or just drool over them. All this because I watched a Greco video by Danny (about 20 times ! his playing is so enjoyable to watch !)

I see you own both MIJ heavy weights. This is 2019, and I didn't even see when you did this thread. Are you still a fan ? Thanks Quad. - Mike