1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Atheist-Tony Choy's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Goregrind29, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any idea how Tony got his tone? I love it! Well its simillar to Patterson's, was he trying for that? Either way i like them both. How do they get them? Any info on basses used, eq settings, amps, effects etc. would be very helpful. I just wish the bass was louder on Piece of Time.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It's safe to assume he didn't pray for it..

3. Yeah, i wish it was that easy

4. I can tell you I saw pictures of him with a Modulus 6 strings in a couple of pictures.

5. Mikalourus

Mikalourus

Dec 19, 2011
    Sorry to regurgitate an old thread but I'm also on the hunt for this tone.

Atheist's bass lines/tone have been some of my favourite in death metal. I'm filling in bass for a friends metal band and would like to add this tone.

Particularly this tone, Atheist-Mineral - YouTube . I can only describe it as sort of tangy and watery bass. It's most prominent at 2:00 and 2:55-3:00. I think he slaps on this and the rest of the elements album which it features on (one of my top 5 death metal albums)

Also Mother Man - Atheist (Bass and Drums Only) - YouTube. This is more fingerstyle, but I equally like the tone the further it gets into the track. Tbh it reminds me of Jaco's sound on this (hope this doesn't offend anyone :)

Anyway, even those that don't like death metal I hope will enjoy a listen to this. Any pointers would be appreciated. I assume it's mostly down to aggressive playing, which I am fine with, and probably a mid range boost. I've gotten relatively close to this but if anyone has anything to add in terms of gear or settings. Cheers. Mike.