Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atheist-Tony Choy's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Goregrind29, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any idea how Tony got his tone? I love it! Well its simillar to Patterson's, was he trying for that? Either way i like them both. How do they get them? Any info on basses used, eq settings, amps, effects etc. would be very helpful. I just wish the bass was louder on Piece of Time.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It's safe to assume he didn't pray for it..

3. Yeah, i wish it was that easy

4. I can tell you I saw pictures of him with a Modulus 6 strings in a couple of pictures.

5. Mikalourus

Mikalourus

Dec 19, 2011
    Sorry to regurgitate an old thread but I'm also on the hunt for this tone.

Atheist's bass lines/tone have been some of my favourite in death metal. I'm filling in bass for a friends metal band and would like to add this tone.

Particularly this tone, Atheist-Mineral - YouTube . I can only describe it as sort of tangy and watery bass. It's most prominent at 2:00 and 2:55-3:00. I think he slaps on this and the rest of the elements album which it features on (one of my top 5 death metal albums)

Also Mother Man - Atheist (Bass and Drums Only) - YouTube. This is more fingerstyle, but I equally like the tone the further it gets into the track. Tbh it reminds me of Jaco's sound on this (hope this doesn't offend anyone :)

Anyway, even those that don't like death metal I hope will enjoy a listen to this. Any pointers would be appreciated. I assume it's mostly down to aggressive playing, which I am fine with, and probably a mid range boost. I've gotten relatively close to this but if anyone has anything to add in terms of gear or settings. Cheers. Mike.