Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK Question..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Hey

This bass is currently listed on Ebay but there is a slight issue with it i think

It says it has a Birdseye Maple Fingerboard and Neck..!!!

To my knowledge on the newer models (its says its a year old) they are just standard maple and this isnt an option...

Also he says it Transparant Blue yet the picture is obviosuly of a Black ATK....is this picture a common one??..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3727518213&rd=1

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It does look rather sketchy. :meh: I'd definitely check this out in person. You never know.

I agree that it does appear to be black. I'm not familiar with the color choices of the new ATKs, but it looks like it could be a dark blue as well. I suggest that you request another photo. It will prove the validity of the auction and it could let you see the real color.

I see a lot of auctions where people list instruments as having figured wood when they really don't. For example, a standard Fender MIM neck shouldn't have any real figuring, but sometimes there's a flame or two, and the owner will call it flamed maple. That ATK neck probably has, like, 5 birdseyes on it. :p

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I do recall the old ATKs. There were some high end ones made in the US which featured bird's eye maple or flamed maple necks with flame top bodies. I also recall some of these particular models having an additional J pickup in the middle position. The then Japanese and later Korean models only had that jumbo, tri-humbucker in the bridge as far as I know. As for the new ones, I really don't know. But I tell ya, if that's one of the old US made ones going for so little, I'd snag it! As that seller for more info and pictures.

Ron

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    ATK is the shortest way to say triplecoil-humbucker.
    check out the bass personally, for me it looks great, and as any other j-triplecoil it must sound great.

5. There's a TB'er selling an older one on the classifieds right now (4 string, w/ tension-free neck) and when he said it was transparent blue, I first thought the pic looked black. I think it might be a transparent DARK blue and the picture wasn't the best. Email the seller for better pics and pics of the 'birdseye' and MOP inlays. There are times, in batches of standard maple, that birdseye can be used in regular necks. Sometimes companies just don't want to go through the hassle of making a 'special edition' for some reason.

6. About the color off the bass, maybe it could be a finish that doesn't photograph well.
    Some materials or paints are just impossible to photograph correctly.
    Reminds me of the time I used blue velvet as a background and it turned out pitch black in the photo.
    Even things like red wine or cola turn out black in a photograph. (you have to add equal parts of water to make look real)

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes! I remember that feature (the "tension-free neck"). That's a US made ATK. I recall the bass player from Spin Doctors (remember them?) was an endorser for Ibanez and he played one of those (though he had some hippie-drippie paint job on it rather than the flame top on the conventional US models). It’s probably a pretty cool axe. I've never found a US one before. I'd really like to try one out one day; especially a 5 string. I bet you can get some serious bang for the buck on that puppy.

r

8. Here's some more pictures that he sent me :)

Back
    Headstock
    Bridge View

Its a 405 so0o that makes it Korean but for £200 its a bargin :).....

Whats the string spacing is it 18mm??...cant find any info since Ibanez took it off their site..

Any good mods that are worth making??

Cheers

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I do like those ATK405's... might have to have a bid on it... :D

Only problem is I'm gonna be gigging tonght when the auction finishes... :(

Russ :bassist:

10. The string spacing of an ATK 305 is 17 mm.
    I really don't think the 405 will be different.

P.S. : I found it here : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106058&page=4&pp=20
    (Mods, this thread should really become sticky again ... IMO)