1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK vs BBG5 vs SR505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph.Magnum, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Ok, I'm going to buy a used bass, and let's say that all theese guitars cost their MSRP, and I can get them for 350 euros used.
    The choice is:
    Ibanez SR505, it's around 650 euros, 350 used.
    Yamaha BB G5, discontinued, 350e used
    Ibanez ATK new is 550e, 350 used.

Which one do you recomend and why (please specify the why? part)

For US players: imagine that instruments cost their MSRP, and i get them for $350; I know that US players are always doing :eek: when they see European prices :p

All the basses are in great condition, setup and playability.

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Let us know what you are looking for...

I would go for the ATK. It have a comfortable neck, nice aggressive sound, and I am a fan of Ash...it's my favorite non-exotic wood :)

3. Personally I'd go for the SR505 - slim SR5 neck, barts, looks.

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Ibanez ATK because I've played both the ibanezes and a few yamahas and the ATK is one of the best instruments I've played regardless of price. It can get close to a P sound and VERY close to a jazz bridge sound.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like the ATK for it's slap tone best; the SR505 has an awesome neck, though.

6. Ibanez SR505 is out of the game - don't want to mess with thin guitar necks.

Now, a battle between ATK and BB G5. I need it for club ampless gigs, I own a Tech21 PBDDI, and play it that way. I'm leaning more in favor of the ATK because of the 3 band EQ and great sustain.

BUT, everyone i know told me that Yamaha is better choice - because it's more compressed sound, and it won't clip when you instantly switch from fingersyle to slap in the middle of the song. Yet, yamaha has 2 band EQ, volume and mix pot. (4 pots)
    Ibanez has volume, 3 band EQ and 3 way switch.

I'd like to have a good bass guitar for slap.

Now I've described it a little, please give me some more feedback :)

Thanx a lot guys! ;)

7. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    IMHO you can't beat the ATK for slap sound, but it definitely would clip going from finger to slap. Your call whether it's worth it.