Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

attempted ebay scam, help pls

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 25, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hi, I have a tuba of mine on ebayand a guy just sent me this question about it. It looks fishy as hell, the guy hasn't been a member any amount of time and it reminds me of a lot of scams I've heard of of. So, if it smells like ___ it probably is ___.

My question, I'm not familiar with cashiers checks, so can I easily be burned by accepting one? I'm happy to take this persons money if I can get the check thingie and allow it to clear. This just sounds like trouble though.

Here is what the guy wrote

Q: agentwiljoams03@yahoo.comHello I am a procurement agent interested in immediate purchase of your item.After several consideration over the advert placed on the website,my client has really shown interest in it and would really want to issue the payment in form of Cashiers Check.Will you be accepting a Cashiers Check? The cashiers check that will be drawn by my client and would include the cost for shipping of this item to my client .A shipping agent in africa shall solely be responsible for the shippment of the item.An additional sum of $100 will also be added to end the auction. Please contact me asap via email for futher questions as regards this transaction if you really show willingness in selling this item asap.Thank You and I am expecting your response

I wanted to get some opinions from people who may be more expierenced in these kinda dealings. I really wanna sell this horn so I can buy some bass goodies. If anyone wants a link to my item, just PM me(not trying to promote my item here, just the problem)

Thanks for any help.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SCAM

SCAM

SCAM

SCAM

SCAM

-Mike

3. I placed an ad in the Recycler and I got a bunch of replies that state that their client is interested in the product I have listed and they'll pay almost double my asking price. I deleted the e-mails and blocked them, I really think it's bullcrap and a scam. I honestly think that it's too good to be true.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, this answers my question as to why these scammers keep this act up. I thought everyone knew about this.

-Mike

5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    How does it answer your question? I immediately recognize it as looking like a scam.

Is it completely unreasonable for me to ask for an outside opinion on the matter?

6. I think it was wise for you to come and ask....no harm, no foul. Definitely ways for these jerks to rip you off with phony cashiers checks, etc. Only sell to overseas guys who have a rep, pay with Paypal, cover the cost of converting the currency, and pay for full shipping and insurance. I've sold to some excellent guys here on TB from Holland and Finland, plus another guy in England. All no problem deals and the conditions were met with no problems or complaints....they know the drill about import duties, etc...

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Scam. Email back that want to be paid in nickels delivered by a milkmaid, nothing else will do.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's cool bro. I just figured everyone is hip to this scam. Apparently there are still some people who wonder just enough to have to ask others about it. I'm to the point where I don't even read them anymore it's so obvious.

You're smart to ask around.

-Mike

9. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    This does smell bad. One thing I can tell you is that a cashiers check can have a stop payment put on it. By the purchaser. So that being said tell him to buzz off, win the auction fair and square and pay with a United States Money Order. And don't mail the item untill you get your money!

now one of two things will happen:
    1. he will win it fair and square and pay you properly or,
    2. he will go away.

Scott

10. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I ended up just replying to him(with e-mail hidden mind you) that I only accept money order and paypal

I have a feeling that I won't be hearing back from him...

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I e-mailed him and said I have a tuba better than yours for sale. :)

-Mike

12. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Stay away! Not only is it an obvious scam (once you've seen them a few times), but he used the word "procurement".

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :eek: :scowl:

Oh, wait, you said nickles. Never mind.

I'd just ignore the e-mail. Usually they don't bother you after the fist one.