Attended Alice in Chains last night in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Aug 23, 2018.

1. I absolutely loved the show. They kicked ass! They played a few new tunes off their new album, which were great. Absolutely nothing wrong with the new tunes. The audience just weren't familiar with them yet. They also played a lot from their older catalog from Facelift, Dirt, Jar of Flies, & even the SAP EP. Pretty much the entire audience was singing the Facelift/Dirt songs loudly.

If Alice in Chains' tour passes through your city, I urge you to go. The band was very tight.

Jerry Cantrell has to be one of my favorite guitarists. He always has the perfect balance of rhythm & solo in their songs. William DuVall was a great frontman and he serves as a second guitarist. As one would expect, Mike Inez was on-point and has an honorable music resume (AIC/Jerry Cantrell's solo project, Ozzy, Slash's Snakepit, a few years with Black Label Society). He switched basses a lot during the show. My seat was in the balcony, so I couldn't make out the exact models, but I believe he played some Warwicks & Spectors. I attended the show with some musicians I've been jamming with. My drummer dug the work of Sean Kinney and finally figured out how to play one of the songs that eluded him for years.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    One of mine too. Perfect rhythm/solo balance, as you said, plus I love how he integrates rootsy/bluesy playing into even some of A in C's heaviest tracks. Just brilliant all around.

Thanks for the review. I'm a huge fan, but have never seen them live, so I'll try to catch this tour.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I’m not sure if they are coming my way, but i’ll Keep an eye out.

Big Cantrell fan here as well.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I haven't listened to the newer stuff as much but what I have heard really impressed me. My tastes have changed rather than the band's quality. I always felt that they definitely accomplished the lead singer change out better than almost any other band and the evolution of their sound has been impressive. And Jerry still rips.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    When I first heard they were going to replace Lane and go on with the band I was a skeptical. DuVall does a great job though. Cantrell has always been one of my favorite guitarists, he writes great riffs and has absolute killer tone.

TolerancEJ and blue4 like this.
  6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I was the same way. His voice was so instantly familiar. But I gave them a chance and was convinced after Black Gives Way to Blue. DuVall is different in some ways, but very good.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. Algo

Algo

Dec 3, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    Saw them in 2011 and it's one of the highlights of my life.

I was right in front -and I don't mean front row or anything but right below the stage- of the band when they played Nutshell and I still feel that kick drum. It was right as sun was setting down at dusk so it was...special.

I too would urge you to go see them if you have the chance.
    They're coming my way later this year I believe, but will unfortunately have to skip it.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I know it's not AIC related really but DuVall is also excellent in the band Giraffe Tounge Orchestra If you haven't heard them give them a listen.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I found this show from June of this year on YT. Enjoy...

TolerancEJ likes this.