1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATTENTION ALL! HELP NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff2104, Oct 12, 2010.

1. cliff2104

cliff2104

Jul 26, 2010
    I am a developing bassist, and have been learning for one year. I have had this Fender Squire Precision Bass for a year and has really begun to piss me off. So i went looking for other basses, and found that Ibanez was my love. I love metal and therefore i would like to go for a 5 string.

At Chirstmas i can choose between an SR305 or an SR505, and im inquiring, which should i get? and why? All your replies are appreciated :)

2. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    A better Fender :)

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    MIA Precision Bass

4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Yup, MIA Fender P.

5. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Play both models and see which sounds and feels the best to you. One thing to note with five string SR's is the string spacing at the bridge will be a lot narrower than you're used to, so make sure you're happy with that before you buy. Ibanez make fine basses, so ignore the luddites with their obsolete recommendations ;)

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I'd prefer the 505 myself, as I prefer the woods used, and the electronics, but +1 to trying them both out for yourself if possible.

7. Get whichever feels best. Then get a proper setup on your Squier so you have a back up bass. You never know when your tastes will change!!

8. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    Get a Fender Jazz Bass. Problem solved.

9. cliff2104

cliff2104

Jul 26, 2010
    Im not any other brand, its ibanez. Can anyone tell me why the 505 is considered to be better than 305?

10. when come to Ibanez, the right bass is BTB, i owned BTB305QM korean made, very versatile bass :D

another options for metal is Ibanez ATK, powerful gain indeed!! :bassist:

11. Or a Rickenbacker :)

12. significantly more expensive cuts of wood. very lovely finishes.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Theyre both very good imo. However when I was trying the 4 string versions, I found the SR300 series better suited to me sound wise once I had the midsweep/style sweeper dialed in. The SR300's pups also sounded better for what I wanted at the time. But yeah, try both, pick the one that sounds better to you. If I retried the newer versions of each I might go for the SR500 instead.

14. elzeder

elzeder

Mar 19, 2010
    europe
    the 505 has better pickups, more variety with the eq settings and better woods, but in that price range you can find a lot of stuff especially on the used market, and also made by ibanez since you seem to want one

15. whatiswhat

whatiswhat

Mar 11, 2010
    Joplin MO
    I'm not into Ibanez, but Ibanez owners seem to love them. the 505 is the fancier of the two, you'd probably really dig it after having only your Squier. My first bass was also a Squier, I sold it when I got my 2 fancy basses. I kinda missed it, so I got a new fretless version of that beat up and abused Squier I learned to play on.

Whatever bass you happen to buy next, don't get rid of your Squier.

16. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    If you're gonna go with Ibanez, go used. You'll get way more bass for your buck. Those things have a horrible resale value.

17. cliff2104

cliff2104

Jul 26, 2010
    Im not getting rid of my squier, might rip off the frets though :)

Also, im not sure what it's called but does the 505 have a frequency function or something that changes the sound from slap to fingering? Sorry for my **** knowledge :p

18. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It has a 3-band EQ ( you can adjust bass, mid, and treble ) and I believe you can select which frequencies the mids are at. There's a fairly decent description on the Ibanez website.

By either slapping or fingering the sound will change all on its own :)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021