ATTENTION: Current Rash Of Scam Ads- Please Read

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A hacker managed to log into the accounts of a few people last night. We thought we got them all but one more appeared tonight, so
    more could potentially be out there. This scammer is requesting people send him PayPal friends and family or Zelle payments. Please be aware that sellers are not permitted to ask for PayPal friends and family payments under any circumstances, so do not send them, and please report any users who do this immediately.

Ggaa, catcauphonic, R&B and 7 others like this.
  2. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Do you know how they gained access to the accounts?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Right now it’s looking like the users were the victims of targeted phishing attempts. Apparently there was a similar issue recently on another forum where the same result happened when some users were using the same passwords elsewhere.

R&B and kranahan like this.
  4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Dang. The internet is not what it used to be

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    What a frustrating mess for everyone. Man people really suck sometimes. The world ain’t got enough nasty crap going on and now we gotta worry about a$$hats scamming dudes on gear forums for nickels and dimes. To them. I’m sure they add up though. But for guys like me, those nickels and dimes can really make a difference short term most times :rage: Not to mention all the time, effort and frustration all the other people involved on the forum have to go through. Kaka.

catcauphonic likes this.
  6. Jon Muir

Jon Muir Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Careful guys, I lost $120 to one of them, only because they had good feedback.

BunchyMutt likes this.
  7. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I create a different email address and password for every service I use, I'm up to about 185. That way I always know what service sold or hacked the address. I pay a low yearly fee to my server company to have unlimited storage and email addresses. Each password is a series of characters made up in a way that I can remember them, or at least can look them up in my Keychain app that comes with my Macs.

mrperkolator, BobKos and Lowendtech like this.
  8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I fear I might have been scammed by a long time TB user. I’m going to refrain from using their name (for now), but they were supposed to send a pedal in trade on Weds. I have had no communication or updates since Tuesday night, despite me shipping my pedal to them. Pretty nervous I’ve gotten scammed. Pedal hasn’t been delivered yet, could try to reach out to UPS and cancel delivery. Thoughts?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It’s Friday. It’s been 2 1/2 days and you think you got scammed??

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    Guy said he was going to ship on Weds AM and has been completely non responsive since. His responses shipped after I shipped my pedal, despite my repeated private messages requesting an update and him being on TB (according to his profile).

i can still stop the shipment for a few more days…just looking for some advice.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That doesn’t mean he’s been to the post office- you can be on TB at work and many people have a hard time getting to the post office during the work week. I’m not saying he shouldn’t have responded back by now but it’s far from looking anything like a scam yet

12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Why not call for an update? You did get a phone number?

13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I did call him, yesterday. He picked up and apologized by being no responsive. Said he already shipped the trade pedal and would send me the tracking number asap. That was yesterday. He is still no responsive by email/PM. I can still revoke the delivery tomorrow, should I do it?

cosmicevan likes this.
  14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Call him and ask...or if you are nervous call him and tell him you are doing that and will shop it when you see activity on his tracking number.

15. BC82

BC82 [To Each His Own] Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2013
    USA - KY
    There’s one that messaged me to email him. Then The TB account was suspended. Do you need me to forward the email communication?

It was real weird. Even tried sending me a link to my own sale thread, that was not my sale thread. I never clicked it because I thought it was a scam.

I even asked him about why he was sending that link and that it was a scam, and no reply

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021