1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATTN: Warwick Users... Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Ok. So I'm interested in getting a Warwick, I like the way they look, and they all have a fantastic tone and playability. The only thing is, I don't want a J-style Warwick. Any suggestions on a bass with that big, fat, Warwick signature tone, for under $2k?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why?

Doublebuck maybe?

3. Well... A J-style would work, but I don't want it to sound like a jazz (I already have one). All the one's I've played (I think they were corvettes?) sounded like deluxe jazz basses to my ears...

4. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    what do you mean"J-style" the PUP's or the body style. theonly really Jazz-ish looking one is the Katana.

5. pups.

6. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    I just picked up a 2006 LTD Dirty Blonde Thumb 4 and did my first live recording with it yesterday. The P + Double J format sounds awesome. It really fit well in the mix and the bridge pickup absolutely nails the Jaco tone if thats your bag. Its gorgeous and plays like a dream, but it really depends on what style of music your looking for.

For that budget I'd say a Thumb BO because even though it has jazz pickups they aren't in the normal position so it doesn't sound like a jazz. If you were going over the 2K mark I'd say Streamer hands down. I prefer the P+DJ over the J+HB config though.

7. Corvettes can sound like a very modern Jazz with a splash of Warwick growl.

Here are some others that sound considerably different than a Jazz in your price range.

Corvette $$
    Used Corvette FNA Jazzman
    Used Thumb
    Used Streamer Stage I
    Used Streamer Stage II (jazz PU config. but sounds considerably different than a Jazz).
    Used Infinity
    Used Dolphin

Chances are if you're wanting "big, fat, Warwick signature tone" you're going to want a Thumb or a Dolphin.

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Man all the J-wicks I've played sound nothing like my Fender Jazz.

9. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Thumb BO. Just because it has the jazz pups doesn't mean it sounds like your traditional jazz. That being said, i'm biased because my thumb BO gets a TON of playing time over my other basses ;)

10. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Totally agree.
    Though you can get that J sound, the Warwick basses still have that nice modern growl sound all to their own.
    peace,
    Brian

11. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    all of these basses mentioned won't really sound too much like a jazz just for the construction materials. I wouldn't mind a bubinga/wenge Jazz though. might sound cool

12. Looking at your wide range of influences, I'd say a used FNA Jazzman would be a great bass for you. It's very versatile, has that growl, active/passive switch, musicman p'up for great slappin', etc., etc.:bassist:

13. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    check out the warwick forum at warwick.de