Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attracting drummers

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by protoz, Aug 10, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I go to practice today and after we get done jamming out on our new tunes he tells us that he's not dedicated enough to gig more than once a month and we should be on the look out for a new drummer that can gig more often.

Great...we play stuff along the lines of Black Label Society and Pantera so a good rock/metal drummer that doesn't go off the wall on double bass and can GROOVE will be hard to come by.

My question is: How do you attract a drummer? Do you make a demo disc and pass it around to get their attention? Our current demo is a year old now and pretty poorly done I feel so we would need to make a new demo.

Or do you just hold open audition and hope for the best? :help:

2. Beer. Drummers can smell beer for miles, like sharks can smell blood in the water.

Randy

3. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    The fellas are right...beer and pizza. BUT, if you really want a drummer, tell him that the old couch in the rehearsal studio is his for $100 a month. It may be the best hacienda he's had since his last girlfriend kicked him out........

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Be an underage girl with self-esteem issues and a slight BO problem.

5. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative

You speak the truth brotha! Damn that's reality ain't it?!?!?

:D

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll offer a peice of real advice: get the rest of your act together first. Drummers are hard to come by. Good drummers are even more difficult to find. That means its a seller's market, so to speak. To attract a drummer you need to offer more than other bands. I suggest investing in a good drum machine and getting your whole band tight while jamming with that. Write songs and even record a demo with a machine if you have to, that way you have something to show off when you do find a prspective drummer.

Making friends with other bands and borrowing their drummer for fill in gigs is good too. Not only does this let you sell yourselves as a giging act to other drummers, it also gives you first dibs on the drummers you jam with when they get kicked out of their current bands (hey, its low but its true).

Having a practice space where they can keep their kit is helpful too, you'd be surprised how many drummers can't jam in their own dwelling place.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Our current drummer will still jam with us he just doesn't want to gig after we had a few sour gigs go down.

I will try to coax him to record a new demo with us so we can pass it around.

I MIGHT be able to coax a drummer to fill in for gigs but it could be a long shot.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no, beer, cheese and peanut butter.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I met our drummer during a school concert, got talking, realised we liked the same music, went and got a practice room, jammed and that was it really. Pretty lucky.