Audacity vs. Tracktion

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spidersbass, Mar 11, 2005.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    which is overall better?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Audacity does't do MIDI, does it? After scanning through the Audacity homepage, it looks like VST support isn't quite there yet either. I know for myself and my needs, MIDI and VST support is vital.

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    hmmm, well, since i have no idea what VST is, and only a basic understanding of MIDI, there both equal to me on that aspect, :).

how 'bout for some basic recordings with maybe a mixer, a couple mics, and whatever instruments i'd want to record?

ps. would i still need to buy another soundcard for this kinda recording? all i got is whatever is in my Compaq.

4. I don't know Audacity and so can't compare, but Tracktion is a great little program. Very easy to learn and surprisingly powerful.

Yeah, you should get another input device. Mackie sells Tracktion in a package with something called Spike, which is a coupla preamps/DIs that can be used for input. The whole package is no more than $400.

VSTs will be your friend. You can have VST instruments like pianos or drum machines, where the devices basically live in your computer, and you can have VST effects like reverbs and compressors. All of which minimize your need for outboard gear.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Audacity is free. Perfect for anything I want to do that isn't complicated enough to fire up Logic for.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm gonna say yes. Your compaq probably has a generic AC97 audio rpcessor. Its fine for playback but cannot record without major latency issues and the DACs are not up to snuff.

Get a real pro grade card. I started off with an M-Audio 2496, fine if you don't need multiple inputs.

Stay away from USB interfaces, the bus doesn't have the bandwidth and most of them are too CPU intensive. Firewire/USB2.0 will work as long as the encoding is done in hardware.

7. DocFuzzB3

DocFuzzB3

Jan 22, 2017
    I haveTracktion T6, Audacity and a trial version of NCH Audio Suite. Audacity:free, Tracktion:free after buying a Behringer USB mixer. NCH great too expensive. Tracktion great but heavy learning curve. Audacity does have great VST and MIDI now.

8. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Audacity is a single track, single source software. I don't know about the other, but I'm a big fan. Reaper only comes out when I really need the big guns and am willing to allow time to get everything set up.

9. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I'd say Audacity and Tracktion are completely different tools; which one to choose depends on the task at hand.

Audacity is a nice (and free) audio editor, perfect for simple (single track) recording and editing -- though it can be used for more complex projects, that is not its forté.

Tracktion is a really great, complete DAW that can handle the most complex recording sessions with ease. The best workflow of any DAW, if you ask me. Older versions are good enough and completely free, the latest version is cheap.

10. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

^ agreed!